Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front Locker

Compact3

I am continuing to have a problem with a lack of power to the front actuator. Having disconnected the supply cable from the top of the actuator, the continuity checks seem OK and the common earth is also as it should be. With the centre diff locked and the switch on the dashboard turned to operate the front locker with the ignition on, I assume that there should be power detectable on both terminal 2 and 3 at the end of the wires which then go into the top of the actuator. But no, there is none. Any advice would be welcome
Cheers John

Do you get a flashing red front axle light when you're trying to lock the front? I'm assuming you do ...

You'll never get power on the motor wires (2 & 3) with the actuator unplugged. The control unit has some relays that have their coils earthed via the locked / unlocked sensor tracks in the actuator. Unless one of those is earthed the control unit relays won't activate so no power to the motor wires. I can't remember which is locked or unlocked but one of pin 5 or 6 should be positive and if then earthed should give power on 2 & 3 (again can't remember which of 2 or 3 will be positive for locking but one will be + and the other 0v). If there is no power at 5 or 6 when trying to lock and you feel continuity back to the control unit is ok then either the control unit is foobar or it's not getting power itself.

Thanks very much for that info. Yes I do get the flashing light. According to info from IH8MUD pos to 3 and neg 2 locks the diff and pos to 2 and neg to 3 unlock. 4,5,6 are to limit motor travel 5 shuts off motor for unlock and 6 shuts off motor for locked, 4 is common earth. I am getting a new actuator, well new to me anyway at a reasonable price, the current one got a bit of a bang in Snowdonia. One assumes when it turns up it will be unlocked, is there a simple way of telling because unlike the rear locker it just has a rotating gear wheel not a rod which is either in or out. In addition, I do get power to terminal 6 and 8 on the ECU but nothing to terminal 7 which should send it to the actuator but does not unless it is plugged in, wish I had know that in the first place, I can also update my auto electrician. Many thanks

John

Back