Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front top control arm ball joint failure

Spaloney

Country Flag
australia
Hi Folks
Has anyone had a top ball joint fail on a 200 series with 75,000 km`s?. Vehicle still under warranty, but Toyota will not cover it.

Attachments

• Ball joint 1.jpg
    Ball joint 1.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Ball joint 2.jpg
    Ball joint 2.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 37
I'd say the non oem suspension would stop them paying out. Once you fit non oem you don't really have a leg to stand on. These wear much quicker when you haven't changed the top arms

The control arm and ball joint was a Toyota part, which wasn't replaced as part of a ARB 40mm lift fitted by an ARB dealer here in Tas. 6 month prior to the accident. After the accident I spoke directly with an ARB State manager and I asked if the top control arm should have been changed as part of the lift, which his response was "it is recommended, but not necessary"!!. If the lift had been over 50mm then the control arm would have been changed to be able to adjust the caster and camber. Even though I was fully aware that my warranty was void due to the "suspension being modified", which was Toyota`s statement I believe that it is a suspension upgrade verses a modification because the gear fitted is much more superior than the standard suspension. What I am more concerned about is that Toyota should be very concerned with this failure and that they should be investigation the cause of this problem and hopefully eliminating an event like this happening again. Next time the outcome may not be as lucky as I was!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Even though I was fully aware that my warranty was void due to the "suspension being modified", which was Toyota`s statement I believe that it is a suspension upgrade verses a modification because the gear fitted is much more superior than the standard suspension. What I am more concerned about is that Toyota should be very concerned with this failure and that they should be investigation the cause of this problem and hopefully eliminating an event like this happening again. Next time the outcome may not be as lucky as I was!!
It is a modification, the OME gear is a different rating to OEM stock or aftermarket pattern replacements, you have installed higher spring rates and longer travel shocks onto stock mounts, that will now be working under more severe stress and at steeper angles than design. I think that ARB really should get off the fence. Sorry but I don't see this is Toyota's problem at all. I think your argument is with ARB, why didn't they explain to you the pro's & cons of not upgrading your UCA's?

Hi Brett
i think you be right because someone also mentioned to me that the reason they didn’t change the uca is because ARB may have been short of stock due to COVID supply changes etc?

Hi bud, It is a bit naughty, if ARB recommend it, regardless of whether they had stock or not, they have a duty of care to you as they have fitted their products, there are other upgraded UCA's available from other manufacturers which you could have fitted if they had acted professionally. I think I'd be constructing a carefully worded letter to them.

Back