Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

front tow hooks

landcruiserjohnb

hi guys
I know we talked about this before but are the hooks at the front of the 80 good enough to be towed either on or off road.

iirc the consensus was yes - IF you use a bridle and if your bolts are in good condition. (Definitely worth looking at if you haven't already).

Depends which hooks. There are closed loop pigtails and there are ties down eyes. Post a pic before we can give a definitive response. It's not possible to answer a really important question like this without knowing what the hardware is. Someone might have fitted something different.

Sorry - but in a safety related question, you can't take anything for granted.

Chris

As Chris says. The tie down hooks are just not strong enough to take more than a gentle pull and even then your at risk of ripping them off. The pigtail hooks are far superior and would stand a deal more abuse and could withstand a decent recovery effort.

However, I wouldn't trust either fitting to be strong enough to withstand a kinetic recovery.

I sufered a kinetic recovery when I filled up with petrol and my neighbour towed me home with his A3 Audi. Although I was keeping the rope tight with the brake pedal there was some slack at a roundabout and he drove off too kinetically. What a lurch. It bent one of the front drop down loops welded at both ends to a right angle bracket. The bracket itself bent so the rope must have been right at the top of the loop.

Frank

sounds like you don't have the stronger pig tails Frank? If so, remind me some time to have a dig in my collection of stuff because I think I still have some you can have :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
On the chassis rails. There are threaded holes/captive nuts. These may be in use or obscured if you have a winchbar.

Cheers,

Hi

I best have a look because I have a ARB bumper and a winch

Will report back

Mal

I've probably posted this pic before but you could always knock up something like this....

Tow.jpg

Yes I must change mine. They hang down a long way and get in the way when I'm underneath. Something that folds up out of the way is needed.

Frank

I've got a couple of pig tails for you Frank, I'll drop them off soon with the waxoil.

I just took a chance on a pair of the heavy pigtail hooks from an 80 on ebay. Does anyone know if these will match the captive nuts on the chassis rails of a colorado/90. Hoping they will - only a fiver so not a disaster if they don't.

Back