Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel Leak

Justin_Elliott

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I've just noticed a few drips of diesel on the front axle... :sick:

I've traced this back to the IP - but due to limited time and light I've not got much further.

Anyone know of any hot spots to go check? or a fancy technique to find where its coming from?

The chances are it will be coming from the cold start device on the side of the pump. These are £300+ from Mr T.

You can replace with a blanking plate, but you will need to reset the timing on the pump which is quite an involved job.

I replaced my cold start device a couple of years ago [strike:imfiz48a]for a similar problem[/strike:imfiz48a] as it was fubar'ed and not had any problems since (although it doesn't get used very much).

I think it'll be the first place to look though - just in case I screwed up the reinstall.

Thanks for the help.

The leak this time seems much worse... more of a 'drip' than a 'seep'

editted, coz i can!

mine leaked from the corner of the rubber gasket between the head and main body of the pump, when i tried running on veg oil.
it looks possible to replace in situ, but involves the fiddly process of disconnecting and re-connecting the throttle/govener spring. not impossible with a bit of patience. i have done daihatsu's but not a cruiser TBH. i took my pump off totally and sent it in for all seals to be done and a tune up on the old magical pump machine.
the other common place on ve pumps is around the throttle shaft, where the o ring wears the shaft slightly. again, this involves taking the top off the pump.
hope this helps,
Tom

tomrichardson said:
mine leaked from the corner of the rubber gasket between the head and main body of the pump, when i tried running on veg oil.
it looks possible to replace in situ, but involves the fiddly process of disconnecting and re-connecting the throttle/govener spring. not impossible with a bit of patience. i have done daihatsu's but not a cruiser TBH. i took my pump off totally and sent it in for all seals to be done and a tune up on the old magical pump machine.
the other common place on ve pumps is around the throttle shaft, where the o ring wears the shaft slightly. again, this involves taking the top off the pump.
hope this helps,
Tom

Mine appears to be leaking from around the governor cover - so sounds similar to yours Tom.

Although, I've not run on Veg oil... ironically to avoid damaging the seals within the IP...

How difficult was it to remove the IP and approx cost for the overhaul/service to replace all the seals?

I'm in the process of reading up on the governor gasket replacement - looks fiddly but as you say do-able.

Justin_Elliott said:
How difficult was it to remove the IP
Been reading the FSM... :sick:

But the Governor cover bolts look accessible in situ - so anyone know how much of the other gubbins needs to be removed to replace the gasket???

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Been working on this today.

Started to take some pics, but only two appear to be any good :roll: But fortunately the process is fairly straight forward and very well detailed within the engine FSM (RM172E, ~FU33)

I managed to remove the Governor Cover insitu, first removing idle up lever, throttle position sensor? etc...

Shown here (moved out of the way)
IsleofWight-20120226-00029.jpg

Then removing the Governor cover by removing its four attachment bolts (PITA due to access!).
IsleofWight-20120302-00031.jpg

This is attached to the pump body by a spring (attached to the eyelet on the lever at the top of this pic), but this can be easily unhooked and gasket removed / replaced.

Reinstall went much quicker and with much less swearing... All in all a few hours work (I'm quite slow and methodical {read over cautious!} so this isn't really much to go by)

Anyhoo its all fixed... test drive done, no leaks, no smoke {from screwing up the IP during repair} :dance:

What did you actually replace, Justin? Just the governer gasket? Out of interest, what material is it made of?Sorry for the daft questions :shifty:

Yes, just the governor cover gasket. Its the shaped rubber gasket which can be seen in my second pic. (not dissimilar material to an o-ring).

tomrichardson said:
glad it went to plan.
and you managed to get the spring back onto the tab ok. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I was surprised how easily I got it all reconnected tbh... very fiddly and awkward but fortunately the hardest part was accessing the bolts on the engine side of the governor cover. They were a PITA!

Back