Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel line malfunction error code P1226

Thanks Karl, I'll change the primer head and see if that helps if not I'll get the pdf printed off and get my mate to have a look as he is pretty good with a multimeter.

Lets hope the primer head fixes it. Before I got my 120 one of the last jobs that was done on it was a new primer head for exactly that problem, so fingers crossed!

Where did you get it from btw, RT?

On another note, do you know what the state of fuel was / is in your tank? Was it sitting there for years with old diesel in it? Just thinking diesel bug / blocked filter on the in-tank pickup might be another possibility. Not sure if theres a plug on these to drain the tank.

Yes R/T for primer head. I drove it home (about 25 miles) with no problems fuel wise, once home it has not been anywhere for about 4/5 months which is the start of the week. It had it's problem again many times today, I did hop out a few times and pumped the fuel primer about 6 or 7 times then it would start after 2 to 3 goes. It seams to go into limp mode when I have to stop and wait for on coming traffic before turning.
I have my one way valve now so I am going to fit it tonight to see if it helps till the primer arrives.
I can't see a drain hole for the tank. I'll see what happens and may have take the tank off yet.

Get under there with a torch and look, there is a tank guard that covers the bottom half with a few holes in it. Look through the elongated hole, I'm pretty sure there is a drain plug there.

I fitted the one way valve last night and I'm not sure it helped. I'll be taking the tank out this weekend to have a look at the filters on the bottom of the pump, I found someone in Oz with similar problems and they had slime on the filters in the tank.
One common thing that seams to be happening is if I brake to a standstill then go to take off it goes into limp mode, engine light comes on and
VSC VSC
TRC OFF comes up too. Is that normal when the filter head needs replacing? Doesn't make sense to me.

I think once the check engine light is on, the others come and join it as those systems (VSC, TRC) wont operate if theres an engine fault code.

So I think its just the one problem triggering all the lights.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well I have removed the tank ,taken the fuel pickup thingy out looked like what would be a fuel pump but wasn't and then noticed there was a pickup filter with wings! The filter had grown wings made of jelly type substance which I have never seen before and the filter was packed with the stuff. Fitted the new fuel head primer and filled the new new filter and she purrs like a kitten now and has not stalled or gone into limp mode, I've only done 3 miles but have not had any problems which is a big relief.

Well I have had problems since my last post on this page, limp mode still. I sent my injectors away and have had them tested, one wasn't working and was leaking, another one was nearly as bad and the other two were borderline ok. Can't rebuild or it's not worth it and parts are hard to get for my type of injectors so I have ordered some brandspankers . Hopefully I'll get them by the weekend and get them fitted. The old injector washers looked in good condition and didn't appear to be leaking, also checked valve clearances which were spot on which saves me a world of pain.

Bad news there bones, but the good part is your injectors were goosed, so did need replacing anyway. When you say the injector washers look good and don't leak, are you talking about the ones at the bottom of the injectors that make contact with the head, formerly copper now upgraded to an aluminium type version ?
If so, they normally come with new injectors, depending on supplier I think.
In any case don't use your old ones for the sake of a few extra quid, they play a major part.
If they leak diesel into the sump after fitting, you could face serious other problems, also have to pull the injectors again to replace
Personally, I would ditch any used parts from your old injectors and buy new.

Sorry, on 're reading your post I think you were trying to say the old ones ones looked good, so leakage didnt take place anyway ?

I bought 8 the other week from Toyota for when I was going to take my injectors from my parts Land Cruiser and swap them all over. I thought sod it I'll get some recon ones which have now turned into new ones. I thought if I leave the other Land Cruiser complete that would be best as that one has a quiet engine and injectors.

Once I have fitted my new injectors does the system need bleeding like older type diesel systems? By partially undoing the steel lines at the injector to allow diesel out?

Not from my experiences. I just pumped the primer till it went hard before starting.

Well it is alive and up and running, after a test run I found I had a fuel leak in number one steel fuel pipe tightened it up and all is good. I've done about 25miles of no limp mode which is brilliant and a weight off my mind. So I have learned that a fuel line malfunction means the injectors are goosed and need replacing.

Back