Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel problem

IRLGW

Hi Guys,

Just dropped in from the inferior 80 series forum:eusa-shhh:

My uncle has a 97 colorado and recently it has been bringing on the engine management light and putting out a bit of white smoke while loosing power. It idles ok but won't rev out. The fuel primer is getting sucked down and so was a marine outboard in-line hand primer when it was added. Thinking that the main fuel line could be blocked a separate hose was fed into a diesel can directly to the IP and the engine ran but still wouldn't rev out?

Tank has been cleaned recently after the strainer became blocked and so has the IP strainer/gauze. Symptoms appear to be fuel restriction but eliminating that possibility still didn't cure the problem. Fuel tank breather is also clear, as is fuel return pipe. Puzzling yet more frustrating so if anyone has an idea we would really like to hear it:?

Fuel cant burn without air so have you looked at the air filter ?

Im sure a little while ago somebody posted on here about a filter/strainer on the side of the fuel pump so it might be worth searching for that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Same problem as me, check your inlet pipe as some people say there's a filter down there although mine didn't have one. Also check for air leaks in the system. You've already checked the spill control filter, and bottom sensor filter?

If not any of that, then the spill control valve could be faulty.

where might we find that then? Is it a mech or electrical part and is it easy to access?

diag_1zQM4RL.jpg
77017B is usually the part that fails

you wouldn't happen to have that in a larger format by any chance? The latest symptom following a new filter is that when the truck dies, it will restart and drive perfectly if the ignition is turned off and on again.....until the next time it dies again...and so on...

Do the 90's have a limp mode? I've not ever heard of any going into limp/engine protection mode, but the engine light coming on at the same time does seem to suggest something along these lines to me. I had a very similar fault on our Passat that turned out to be a split in one of the turbo systems solenoid valve pipes, a tiny little thin pipe about the thickness of a ball point pen inner. When the fault first started it was very occasional then became more persistent as time went on and the split got larger I guess. Some one in the know suggested checking all of the turbo pipe work for a leak and he was bang on. Prior to that a garage had suggested it was probably the variable fins in the turbo getting stuck and I'd need a new turbo! Fixed it with a bit of PVC tape in the end, that is still the fix :)

it may be worth a poke around if your not coming up with anything solid on the fuel system.

Last edited:
Not unusual for a hose to de laminate and collapse inside restricting the flow. Pull the delivery hose off the primer pump, put another piece on and pump into a jar. See how freely it pulls from the tank. That could eliminate quite a bit between the filer and the tank.

Chris

How did you do that Bob ???

I print the diagrams off, then scan them back in (Epson Perfection 4990 Scanner). They come out this size.

I'm not sure how to link the diagrams directly from the originating site so this seemed like the only way.

Having the diagrams as .jpg docs allows me to annotate them if necessary using Photoshop.

I now have a large folder of 'Parts Diagrams' on Photobucket.

So, all accidental really :doh:.

Bob.

problem turned out to be the fuel pump via a fault code from the pump sensor. £300 for a pump recon and it all appears to be working now. judging by the gunk removed from the tank I'd say something in the fuel has caused the problem..

Back