Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuse Problem

Piper

Hi,

A while back I noticed that someone had bodged a replacement fuse in the under bonnet box. It seems that they just wedged the fuse in over what I take it are the prongs from the previous fuse that had been broken out. Here's a picture of what it was like, and the second picture is with the out of place fuse removed.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

Am I correct in thinking that the two metal prongs are the bottom of a previous fuse or am I missing something? If so, how do I remove them in order fit the proper replacement?

Thanks
Ryan

Piper said:
Hi,

A while back I noticed that someone had bodged a replacement fuse in the under bonnet box. It seems that they just wedged the fuse in over what I take it are the prongs from the previous fuse that had been broken out. Here's a picture of what it was like, and the second picture is with the out of place fuse removed.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

Am I correct in thinking that the two metal prongs are the bottom of a previous fuse or am I missing something? If so, how do I remove them in order fit the proper replacement?

Thanks
Ryan

Just pull them out with a pair of pliers, the plug in the new fuse

Ok, thanks. I'll give that a go. I had tried it before but when they didn't move after a decent amount of force I thought I'd hold off and check here first. Especially as I could see the bolt down below fopr this fuse and the two beside it (from the side) so was worried that the bolt was holding the fuse ends in.

Cheers
Ryan

DONT PULL THEM OUT WITH PLIERS!! You will have to take the fuse box top off to get at the nuts that hold the fuse in place. Order a new fuse from Milners as it is less than half the price from Mr T. I thought that you could just pull the ends out and cracked the main fuse box. Sorry but don't have any pics to help you as it was a while ago I did this. From memory the box unclips and you can see the bolts(8mm nuts) at the bottom. Obviously you will need to disconnect both batteries before starting on this. Haven't replied before as have been away since Thursday. Hope I warned you in time.

This explains why I could not get mine out when doing the alternator. Pulled it but it did not budge. Now I know why...

Pretty clear why the PO plugged a fuse on to of that one then. :naughty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Excellent thanks. I haven't had a chance to look at it since posting but will hopefully get at it this weekend. Thanks everyone!

Ryan

Bolt in fuses? Are we sure. I have taken those fuses out before in my last 90 and in my current 80. They're just push in. Can't see Mr T making a fuse that needs the whole tray taking to bits. I have some spares of those in my truck and they're just a female blade on the end. OK they are quite tight, but fixed into the tray? How would that work? It's not logical Captain.

Don't dispute for one minute that there has been difficulty resulting in a cracked tray. So don't misunderstand me, but I think that may be some other reason - due to them being stuck fast somehow. Try taking one of the adjacent fuses out to see what they're like underneath. Just had a look at mine and pulled a fuse in seconds. Something looks odd about the stump left in there.

Fuse in
P1000394.jpg

Fuse out
P1000396.jpg

Chris

Back