Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FZJ80R from Devon

Chapel gate, there was no cutting with this loom, the ISO plugs on it connected from the toyota plugs straight into the back of the head unit. The only thing I had to do was reverse the acc. Power and constant power red and yellow cables, just swapped the pins round in the plug. The radio actually came with loom extension to do this though, but it would have meant another loom to fit in behind.
20180101_205358.jpg
20180101_205407.jpg

Here is the loom for the video inputs and outputs, and for the rca's for amps. Not fitted this yet as they are not needed, but handy anyway.

20180101_205420.jpg

Brian and Ben, some stronger reverse lights would definitely help, I will look into getting some 382's, but a couple of months back I got one of these 48 inch light bars for £18 delivered on ebay. I think it was a mistake with the pricing and wish I had bought more at the time... The plan is to extend the roof rack slightly so I can mount the light bar as a super reverse/work light, and give me somewhere to mount the reverse camera without drilling the bodywork.

20171117_174946.jpg

I have tried it with a drill battery, it is meant to be about 300w and I think it probably is. It's like two constellations colliding. I will probably put it on a switch in the cab rather than hooked to the reverse light circuit.

great stuff, much easier.
I put my reverse camera underneath the number plate light housing. the wires follow the fog light wiring through the tail gate. the camera just gets the tow bar making trailer hitching thoroughly enjoyable.:)

I’ve got a modest 12” three-row Cree reversing /work light bar on my rack, and with the reverse camera, it’s as good as sitting in the back facing the rear!

The led replacement reversing lights are good for car parks and the like, but reversing on a lane or somewhere tricky is great with good light and the camera.

Clive where do you have your camera mounted? I don't think I will be able to have mine on my number plate lamp as it will have to move when I mount the spare wheel up there.

I was thinking of having the camera on the roof rack for a birds eye view?

517A2E22-96AD-4630-AC75-68591C594381.jpeg
Mine is under number plate light housing but would probably be better on a roof rack as it gets very dirty quickly where it is

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Did some fiddling with the roofrack/camera mounting earlier.
20180104_172627.jpg
20180104_173056.jpg
20180104_172615.jpg

I think I will make a dummy version and check the view of the camera before I weld it all. Should fit ok though.

Also, the 2 inch receiver tube turned up today, bought it from Watling Towing this time, only ordered it yesterday afternoon. This is to be used for the front reciever hitch point, and so I have a recovery point on the front. It will be welded into the offcut of RSJ and fitted on the end of the chassis rails behind the bumper.

20180104_194511.jpg

Thanks stumog, gave her a wash before the MOT this afternoon and she is starting to come together I think.

20180108_150427.jpg
20180108_150444.jpg
20180108_150504.jpg

As you can see in the pics the front of the truck still looks rough as badgers, I will do some work on this in the next couple of weeks.

20180105_170232.jpg

Friday night refitted sidesteps, I have red oxide the brackets for the moment as I want to re make them as rock bars in the future.

20180105_170240.jpg

Here is the completed sill repair, the other side is done now too and although it didn't look as bad when I started cutting it it was just as bad, a lot quicker to do though as I already had card templates.

MAN bumper grey is reasonably similar to Moonglow silver, so quickly sprayed the rear bumper to tidy it up a bit.

20180105_170305.jpg

But the best news is, she has passed MOT! Advisories for the front wheel bearings being slack but thats it. Not bad for a 21 year old truck!

View attachment 138857
Mine is under number plate light housing but would probably be better on a roof rack as it gets very dirty quickly where it is

Clive where do you have your camera mounted? I don't think I will be able to have mine on my number plate lamp as it will have to move when I mount the spare wheel up there.

I was thinking of having the camera on the roof rack for a birds eye view?

Sorry to be so late responding, I have a different set up at the rear, having ambulance doors (not a tailgate) like yours, but I simply drilled the rear bumper, as its a flush (almost) fit camera...

You could put it on the roof, but you’d probably find it difficult to judge distances.

With it at bumper level, I can reverse within mm’s of a wall (or a parked car for example) without touching it.

99B87148-D9E8-41E2-80A8-7D0DB05A15CE.jpeg

It’s the silvery speck above the white rectangular sticker just above the receiver hitch.

As clive said. You dont really need the birds eye view with these sort of cameras, i dont know the technical terms but there very wide angle and objects get close quickly.

they do need a quick wipe now and then this time of year as ben mentioned.
Iirc there are larger cameras for motor homes etc that are designed for a birds eye view if thats what your after.

As I have finished my MOT tasks now I am moving on to the tasks for the Salisbury Plain trip.

I have fixed the diff locks and they seem to be working reliably so that is one job off the list.

Next thing is the tyres, I think I am going to get the BF goodrich KO2 in 265/75/16, I need to get on and get these ordered soon really. It is a compromise between road and mud tyres but, I will have to wait until I can get 2 sets of wheels.

Started work on the front tow point;

20180111_165917.jpg

20180111_165958.jpg

20180111_165948.jpg

My truck has been in a front end crash at some point, and the panels have been replaced. I suspect it used to have a bullbar or a frame which is why there is rust on the bonnet edge. I think the towing points were part of the bull bar mountings. The lower bolts have been cut off or sheared off.

The bonnet latch is pushed back as is the transmission cooler (petrols use the radiator heat exchanger as well as an oil cooler).

The power steering cooler has rusted through and had a repair with some rubber water pipe, I have replaced this with oil resistant pipe as the water pipe burst not long after I got the truck, but I am worried it could burst again and as the pump is gear driven I can't just cut the drive belt off and drive home.

20180111_165926.jpg

20180111_165935.jpg

Also the cooler is in the way of where I want my tow point to mount. I think I will get rid of the cooler and run it though the transmission heat exchanger, it is the low pressure side of the power steering anyway, I will still have the transmission oil cooler, and it eliminates the risk of coolant getting into the gearbox.

I have run the cable for the camera, ran it down the channel where the main loom cable runs under the carpet and cable tied it every 10cm. Not too bad a job took about an hour. Whilst I was there I put in the fuel level sender cable for the LPG and the gas stop solenoid cable as well. I also put a 7 core cable for use later, e.g switching lights on or off or switching the reverse sensors on or off if I have a trailer on.

That's all for now... off to order tyres!

Stonking Richard. Stop/tail and side lights next??
They really do make reversing at night so much easier -especially down our lanes here

I did have the number plate bulbs and front side lights as LED, bit I changed them back because I like the light that the filimant bulb gives off. I think stop and tail lights may be a good idea though as my truck has no centre stop light, so some brighter stop lights may be the way to warn people 'The
Car In Front Is A Toyota (With An RSJ As A Rear Bumper)'

Also cut the RSJ for the front towbar mounting/recovery point, and cut the rest of the pieces for the roof rack improvements.

20180112_135027.jpg
20180112_135035.jpg

I love the look of the truck 'snub nosed' with no front bumper, I will have a play around and see if I can bring the bumper back level with the front grille.

Having a look inside the front swivels today to see what the oil grease mixing situation is like.

20180114_132215.jpg

Nicely mixed...

20180114_131511.jpg

20180114_131520.jpg

Also, the hub is damaged. Probably by somebody hitting it to remove the hub from the disc. This is a big shame as now it will be impossible to get a good seal for the bearings, as if I got a new seal it will be distorted. It may be possible to straighten but it will be difficult.

Back