Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

G’day

wedgetail

Country Flag
australia
Just a quick hello - I’m in Australia and I’ve joined up here as I’m trying to help my best mate find an FT powered 80. This is clearly the hotspot for landcruiser expertise in the UK so keen to join in!

I’ve got a fair bit of full size cruiser experience so will see if I can if be of any help as well.

My main rig currently is an FZJ105 I built
Up including fitting an FTE into, if there’s any interested I can post some details...
f5M9tMPl.jpg

Welcome...
What vehicle was your FTE in previously ?
Always thought of swapping an FTE into my FT engined 80 but from what I hear it's a pain to get past the 100 series security features without having a spare 100 series ignition barrel located under the dash as they have a chip in the key ... and in the UK the only source of FTE's is old 100's .

Hey, got mine from an 2004 hdj100 auto (but kept my manual box). Wiring was no drama - I used the 100 immobiler, fitted the 100 barrel to the 105 column but only cos it came With 4 keys and mine had one. I then adjusted the wafers in the door locks to suit. I could’ve fitted the amplifier ring from the 100 barrel to the 105 and recoded the 105 keys to the 100 immobiliser easily enough. Not sure you can do this with an 80. Can you get a 100 blank key cut to your barrel?

Otherwise you can send the ecu to dieseltoysaustralia or thrashlux and they can delete the immobiliser for au$500. You can use a 79 fte but less power and non native cruise

id question putting an fte in an ft vehicle though - would you not be better off keeping it stock, selling and swapping an fzj80?

Hi Wedge, glad you made it over here. Let's see what we can do for you.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks mate. I’ve made a post in the 80 section. I’ve just got him to run an MOT check I’ll update it

id question putting an fte in an ft vehicle though - would you not be better off keeping it stock, selling and swapping an fzj80?
I just fancied having a 250bhp 80 series and the FTE has a number of small improvements and is a slightly stronger engine than the stock FT .
No doubt by doing a few mods I can get near that figure with an FT but I reckon an FTE would be more driveable and easier to get there .
Also 100's are now being broken or rusty ones are available at a price that means it's viable to do .
I would also retain a manual box .
Toyota first tested the FTE in 80 series test mules ....
It will probably never get done but remains a plan ......

yeah FTE will do 250 rwhp without breaking a sweat - generally considered limit here is 400 rwhp and 750 ft-lb or a bit more, that’s with a stock fuel pump and untouched internals. But upgraded injectors (+70s), bad boy Gturbo, DTE chip, 3” exhaust, upgraded FMIC, upgraded air box. You then need a very special clutch - NPC do a 1300Nm one but people have problems with them slipping too.

I reckon for 250 you’d need at least another turbo and chip, obviously with exhaust and probably intake improvements. Mine’s running a stock tune and turbo with 15.9psi boost, 600x300x76mm FMIC with 2.5” intake pipes, HF Safari snorkel, 3” exhaust, blocked EGR and cleaned intake, no intake heater and still pulls 30” H2O at the filter. Generally accepted vacuum limit for all diesels is 25” - I hate to think what it would pull with a chip, and the 80 box and filter are even smaller! Yeah an FT should do it ok too - probably exhaust, turbo, intake mods maybe a FMIC, possibly injectors.

You’re right FTE has a few internal improvements over FT, nothing particularly significant though. The pump is the main and massive difference. Very common swap here into 80s, wiring isn’t hard or complicated if you’re prepared to get your head round it. If you pull the FT out send it to Australia- they’re going for about AU$14k currently, a lot of the time more than FTE with looms/ecu. I’ve noticed quite a few people here importing FTEs from UK, looking at 100 prices their about 1/2 to 1/3 of aus prices and much lower km.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back