Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gear change

Nils

Hi there
I have a diesel Land Cruiser 90 VX, a 2000 model with automatic transmission. It in longer periods gives a hard "clunk" when shifting between 5 and 4th gear(over drive gear). Its gives a shock through the whole car. I comes for a month, goes for a month but it pretty bad now.
I was wondering if anybody can point out what this could be before I start spending a lot of money on something it not is. I live in Iceland and the mechanics are not very good here.

Thanks

Nils

first thing check colour and condition of the transmission fluid and its level - via the dipstick under the bonnet
if it is dark coloured and smells burnt, time for new fluid
you need to check level when it is warmed up and engine is running

That sounds like it might be a problem with the torque converter lock up mechanism rather than a gear change. When the torque converter locks or unlocks it can feel like a gear change but it isn't. There is a mechanism a lot like a clutch inside the torque converter that above a set speed will engage to give more efficient direct drive. If yours is causing a shock when disengaging then either the device itself is worn which seems the most likely, or something in the circuit that controls it is faulty. Always worth checking the fluid condition and level first though as Andy suggested before taking the gearbox off.

Thanks guys!

Jons diagnose really sounds like the problem on my car. Do you have any idea what the cost is of these devices?

Br

Nils

Back