Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gearbox slipping whats my Collie worth??

cbv8

Country Flag
england
Hi All,
I cannot believe all the work i had done on my Collie over the last four weeks since buying it now to find the gearbox is slipping the first thing i did was flush the box replace with fresh dex11 several times until a clean red colour which it still is now. The car has been performing brilliant over the last few days after fitting a new cambelt kit and starts almost instantly gear changes were smooth and hardly noticeable until this morning when it did not want to pull off the drive which i thought was the brakes binding this is not the case as i went a few miles and just about made it back home with slipping box. So after all this i am not spending on a new box the car is in very good condition with no dents to the bodywork and has never been welded underneath its a shame that the box is slipping as this is a very tidy car sound car mechanically and bodily (except the box) what is my Collie worth its done 167k miles and has 8 months mot burns no oil and leaks none either.

Are you absolutely sure there’s enough ATF in it? Cycle through all gears, engine running? Best done hot and dipped to the ‘hot’ marks.

Defiantly enough fluid in it in fact its a little on the high side what i did notice was a smell of burning a tar like smell coming from the underside i presume this is the box wearing bits out as it slips there was no smoke just the smell :crying-blue:

I feel your pain!! I’ve seen Scotty Kilmer on YouTube say if an auto box hasn’t had the fluid changed for a long time it’s best not to as when it’s changed you start to get problems. Maybe this is what he was talking about.

There was a guy called steph that broke collies. PM Karl Webster, I think he has contact with him.

I know it’s tempting to throw in the towel but as you say the rest of the truck is in good shape, are you sure changing the box isn’t an option? At least think on it for a few days.

How does a gearbox slip ? do you mean the clutch is slipping maybe ? , unless its an auto which i will never attempt to understand from a how it works point of view .

Is the transfer box lever engaged firmly as set to neutral it negates the gearbox altogether .

StarCruiser thanks for the encouragement the reason i changed the fluid was in case it had been contaminated or had coolant in it when i drained the fluid there was no sign of coolant in it but it was dark colour i was in the process of fitting the remote cooler but hadn't quite finished that when this happened! Shayne it is an automatic transmission it would not move off my drive this morning ie revs were up but no drive then it engaged but progressively got worse revving up to over 3k revs to limp home as previous there was a tar type burning smell when i finally got back home i have not touched the transfer box lever and is securely in High.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is there a gear speed sensor that might cause these symptoms if it failed ?

Is there a gear speed sensor that might cause these symptoms if it failed ?
Sorry i don't have a clue are there any auto transmission experts on here that could answer this:icon-confused:

A quick google makes me think there are two , one on gearbox and one on transfer - both external .

This pic might come from a petrol 95 but it gives you some idea what to look for anyway

H1590073.jpg

The pic was borrowed from a guy fitting a Marks speedo correction digital box so he wired it to the transfer , i'm guessing the one not shown is linked to the ecu ?

I have a manual but I believe there are some solenoid controlled valves in the Auto box that can give trouble. I think they are accessible with the box sump off and are relatively easy to replace.

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/com...so-a-fix-for-sticky-ones.145697/#post-1412102
Thanks guys i really appreciate the input and without sounding ungrateful would dodgy solenoids cause my box to have no drive and slip i can understand solenoids stopping or delaying gear changes but to cause the box to loose all drive i'm a bit sceptical sorry but please keep the info coming :text-thankyoublue:

I’m with you, it does sound like something is slipping. The thing is these boxes are renowned for being strong. Limping home may not have been the kindest thing for the box if indeed it was slipping. The burned toffee smell is never good. You could try dropping some ATF out and seeing if it’s got any metal in it. A magnet will help here.

I know very little about these boxes, and hope it stays that way, but there’s guys on here, I can’t remember who ( @BobMurphy Maybe @Jon Wildsmith ) who know far more.

Something is nagging at me to mention @bandsnbrakes too but this maybe just because of the name.

Last edited:
Defiantly enough fluid in it in fact its a little on the high side what i did notice was a smell of burning a tar like smell coming from the underside i presume this is the box wearing bits out as it slips there was no smoke just the smell :crying-blue:

Not teaching you to suck eggs, but how are you checking the auto box level? are you checking with the engine running?

Did you change the auto box filter when changing the oil?

Like i said i know sod all about auto boxes full stop , only through the forum i've heard mention of the sensors and little or nothing of these boxes failing .

Borrowed

It's VIN starts with KZJ950 if that information helps.

A bit of history: in January of this year the cooling system for the gearbox failed and it over heated resulting in gearbox fluid and radiator water mixing and leaking out of it (never a good mix!!). The gearbox was flushed out, all the coolant system replaced and all seemed hunky dory. In June it couldn't take off when in "Drive" so I used it as a "semi" automatic and manually selected "2" to start and once it was rolling changed to Drive and all was well. The problem was an external solenoid which was then replaced.

I made bold the solenoid fix that lasted according to the dates on the original post 6 months before this -

Currently there is a problem with the automatic gearbox. Basically when it has been driving for a long time (more than 1 hr ) or driving hard over a short period it feels like there is no power in it. For all the world it's like a manual gearbox when the clutch is slipping. It's as if it is not switching down to the lower gears - pardon my ignorance here if that concept is incorrect with an automatic gearbox. If I pull over and open the bonnet and let it cool down it will then have enough traction to move up gradients. On a test trip home a few weeks ago I was luck to do 30km per hour on the off ramp of the motorway!!!

Borrowed

It's VIN starts with KZJ950 if that information helps.

A bit of history: in January of this year the cooling system for the gearbox failed and it over heated resulting in gearbox fluid and radiator water mixing and leaking out of it (never a good mix!!). The gearbox was flushed out, all the coolant system replaced and all seemed hunky dory. In June it couldn't take off when in "Drive" so I used it as a "semi" automatic and manually selected "2" to start and once it was rolling changed to Drive and all was well. The problem was an external solenoid which was then replaced.

I made bold the solenoid fix that lasted according to the dates on the original post 6 months before this -

Currently there is a problem with the automatic gearbox. Basically when it has been driving for a long time (more than 1 hr ) or driving hard over a short period it feels like there is no power in it. For all the world it's like a manual gearbox when the clutch is slipping. It's as if it is not switching down to the lower gears - pardon my ignorance here if that concept is incorrect with an automatic gearbox. If I pull over and open the bonnet and let it cool down it will then have enough traction to move up gradients. On a test trip home a few weeks ago I was luck to do 30km per hour on the off ramp of the motorway!!!
Morning all I've got exactly the same problem.
After replacing radiator etc etc gearbox slipped yesterday after about an hour drive.
Stopped changed to low ratio and all ok. Could there be water on the clutch?
Put in high this morning seems ok.
Puzzled?

This starts to sound more like fluid drained from the torque converter, which you cannot do simply by draining from the box. It sounds more like low fluid level.

Firstly Happy New Year to you all :greetings-wavingye: right back to serious things i am checking the fluid level when hot and on the level with engine running after going through the gears it is a little on high side as previous i really think my box is now cooked after limping home we are talking about 3 miles.

This starts to sound more like fluid drained from the torque converter, which you cannot do simply by draining from the box. It sounds more like low fluid level.
I really hope this is the case but how can it be when the level is right on the dip stick when hot and on the level running???

Theres a good chance the box is shot. i wouldnt just give up on it if it is though. i may know someone with a second hand box and fitting it shouldnt cost the earth.
try all the diagnosis routes first though. i expect its the internal clutches or maybe box pressurs but im not up on that to be honest.

Last edited:
Back