Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting the best from your hand brake

thanks for the guide and photos

re-setup my back brakes today, after MOT tester freed off the clevis pins and joints.
could do with sorting out the bellcrank as still has slop in it, even after setting brake shoes correctly and adjusting the stop-tabs on the bellcranks to take up slack

one point to note is that you need to wind the brake shoe adjuster in different direction on different sides of the vehicle...

You do if one is in upside down, Andy.

Chris

Chris, I assume I still need to make the adjustment to the bell crank to take up the slack ? I think you discovered that one after we did my overhaul !

Nick.

Yes, you do and yes, I did. Well deduced my Dear Watson.

Sherlock

Battered and Blue said:
Yes, you do and yes, I did. Well deduced my Dear Watson.

Sherlock
Thank you Misss Marple, I'll leave the thing by your back door in the morning !

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You are a top bloke and I don't care what they say about you. And neither should you.

Chris

Licking windows is my speciality, they taste so good after a heavy night on the yorkshire beer !

Thanks for the guide Chris. After the last Lincomb outing the handbrake barely held Lil' Blue so today I serviced them. The brakes were full of crud both main and handbrake, so took off the brake calipers, removed the drum/disks and gave it all a clean and then re-adjusted everyting following your guid.

All good now and ready for the MOT on Thursday :dance:

MOT! Wow that's a milestone. Can't think of anything that would worry me. It's never failed on anything when I had it. But there does seem to be some variances between testers on some things. Most MOT criteria are set and pretty clear. But there are little details that cause some debate on here. I asked my Guy i not having the rear seat belts in and no rear seats was an issue. None whatsoever. But some other tester might say Oh if it says 4 seats on the V5 then it as to have them for the mot. That's just an example by the way Tony. Not an actual fact - but those are the sorts of thing that we see. I have trimmed the exhaust on GW and mate says that it will fail the mot as the tail pipe must protrude from the 'shadow' of the vehicle Well Lil Blue didn't and neither did the pipe on GW before I cut it off!!

Chris

Well there are two things that concern me, but hopefully should not fail on them.

The headlights have the reminants of Lincomb mud in them (I took of the main light unit and flushed it with soapy water but this made hardly any difference). More concerning though, LB seems to have developed a oil leak from the centre diff. It's not a gush, but a few dropletts are forming on the bottom of the diff, and you can see where it's dropping in the ground.

I'll give it a good wipe just beore it goes in, so hopefully it will pass, but the bigger concern is where this leak is coming from. I will take a better look and some pics tomorrow. Prob start a new thread for that.

Yes, do that. Sometime the output seals go and need to be replaced. Not big nor expensive job. I shall have a look once the thread is up.

Chris

Chris said:
there does seem to be some variances between testers on some things.

OT I know but here goes. Last year my Lexus passed it's MOT but got a page and a half of advisories. Nothing looked too important so I did not bother with any of the items. This year it also passed its MOT but this time got no advisories??

Ian

Ahh, you see the Lexus, very fine car, has self healing properties Ian.

Yes, illustrates my point entirely. Sometimes I wonder if it's simply opinion or are they working to some sub guidelines somewhere.

Chris

Ian Rubie said:
Chris said:
there does seem to be some variances between testers on some things.

OT I know but here goes. Last year my Lexus passed it's MOT but got a page and a half of advisories. Nothing looked too important so I did not bother with any of the items. This year it also passed its MOT but this time got no advisories??

Ian

I think it depends on how much work load they have if they are quite they will be loking at doing the advisory work.

Joe

Dropped into MOT test station today and asked about the shortened exhaust. They were baffled. Not remotely interested in me having cut 4" off the tailpipe.

C

BlackWidow said
Will keep you posted on my progress and testing.
Any progress then :?: :?: :)

My hand brake is shocking :shock: Even though it all looks as if Fiery's previouse owner was on top of his maintenance looking @ these pics :arrow:

P9010236.jpg

P9010237.jpg

Guess I'll be getting me hands dirty then :(

Just follow the guide. Slacken everything off and start from the shoes. Get that right and the rest will follow. As said earlier, the main culprit is people tightening the lever end to get a better handbrake. One day, one of us will come up with a mod for the handbrake that makes it a better system.

Chris

No not yet, a couple of test ones fitted but did not perform as I wanted them to do. I have since found that the Nisan has somthing that is simaler to what I am thinking of so have orderd some of theirs and will have a go at retro fitting them to my cruiser....When I get a working solution I will let you all know.

You never know I will get the solution soon. :pray:

Steve

BlackWidow said:
No not yet, a couple of test ones fitted but did not perform as I wanted them to do. I have since found that the Nisan has somthing that is simaler to what I am thinking of so have orderd some of theirs and will have a go at retro fitting them to my cruiser....When I get a working solution I will let you all know.

You never know I will get the solution soon. :pray:

Steve
:cool: :)

Back