Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting un bogged on sand- no recovery gear

We all bought new shovels in Russia. They were Fiskars ones and so cheap we couldn't help ourselves. Thing is like Moggy said, they're a total swine to put anywhere tidy. These are nicely cranked so they are good for digging to a level rather than like a spade for digging down.

Screenshot 2019-03-25 at 16.47.40.jpg

I found a stainless long handle shovel in Lidl for £8 some years ago and it has been brilliant in the garden. These guys have theirs attached to the side of their roof rack. I’ve also got a folding one which I’m beginning to think is great for being compact but may well be sh!t at digging.

I found a stainless long handle shovel in Lidl for £8 some years ago and it has been brilliant in the garden. These guys have theirs attached to the side of their roof rack. I’ve also got a folding one which I’m beginning to think is great for being compact but may well be sh!t at digging.
Folding ones are only really handy for going to the toilet!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
talking of sand driving, are they any tracks or places in the uk to actually drive on sand? only one iv heard is black rock sands, but do we have any tracks also quite sandy?

There is a lane across morcame bay on the edge of the lake district I would like to try when I do the coast to coast trip.

You can get a guide if your walking but haven't phoned them to see if they will guide in a 4x4.

On the south coast you have a track that is pebbles on the back of West bexinton. I would really not recommend doing this alone. I did once and barely got away with it.

Good video that. If you look on the youtube channel (seek adventure) there are some other good ones that are worth a watch

Is that a solid recommendation then? I've been sceptical about multi part ones as i've always though the joins wouldn't hold up to any serious work
There is possible some truth in that grant. Partly due to its extended length, then the fact there's a join in the middle it wouldn't be suitable for digging in heavy clay for example. The main purpose of the extra length is for removing materials from underneath the vehicle, snow, sand etc it would do very well.
When the shovel is shortened a D shaped handle can be screwed on, this has a slight niggle, on mine anyway, that when fully tightened it isn't quite parallel with the blade of the shovel.

On the whole I'm happy with it though.

There is possible some truth in that grant. Partly due to its extended length, then the fact there's a join in the middle it wouldn't be suitable for digging in heavy clay for example. The main purpose of the extra length is for removing materials from underneath the vehicle, snow, sand etc it would do very well.
When the shovel is shortened a D shaped handle can be screwed on, this has a slight niggle, on mine anyway, that when fully tightened it isn't quite parallel with the blade of the shovel.

On the whole I'm happy with it though.
I generally carry a spade and a shovel because they perform different function and neither fulfils the others function that well.

There is a lane across morcame bay on the edge of the lake district I would like to try when I do the coast to coast trip.

You can get a guide if your walking but haven't phoned them to see if they will guide in a 4x4.
It’s a famously dangerous crossing (the Chinese cockle pickers being the most well known of many deaths) although the duke of Edinburgh did it with his carriage and horses! If you got stuck there would be a very strong chance of losing your vehicle.
I’ve kayaked the tidal bores in that area and the currents are unbelievable, stronger than fast river currents.

Back