Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting up to temperature

Shayne

Guru
It could be my imagination or perhaps the colder weather but since fitting an intercooler and oversized exhaust it takes a good 5 minutes driving before the temperature gauge moves and if left on tickover i'd guess it would take 20 minutes . Just thought i'd ask if it rang any alarm bells for anybody ?

Has it got a thermostat ?

If so, probably just the cold weather. Mine has an intercooler, takes 3 or 4 minutes to get to temp.

Not sure about idling up to temp, never do that.

Pete

I've not got an intercooler on my alarm clock Shayne :lol: but this sounds normal to me, Lil' Blue on tickover with no intercooler takes forever to warm up. Normal driving takes about 3 miles before the temp gauge hits midway.

The colder weather would increase these times a smidge I would say as the block temp and oil will be a few degrees colder at start up.

OK cheers fellas its just something i never noticed before , that said i've never used the heater before either , must be getting old :icon-cry:

Diesel engines will not reach full operating temp on tickover, it's normal. They need load to generate heat, unlike petrol engines which will gradually heat up to full temp while idling. An IC will make little difference to cooling at idle as there is virtually no boost from the turbo to heat the intake charge anyway. It will cool the intake air under load/high boost which is the whole point of fitting one and is beneficial for increasing power but obviously will affect warm up times. Excessive idling from cold is best avoided. You're far better waiting for the oil to fully circulate, say, a minute or so, then driving off. JMO

Last edited:
On Swampy I've got a button that when pressed increases the engine RPM by few hundred. Great I thought, that'll be useful for when I'm winching. Thing is once the engine is up to temperature it cuts out and will no longer add any RPM to the tick over :icon-evil: I wonder if you could retrofit something similar Shayne.

It's the one next to my diff lock switch in this photo :)

IMG_7295_zps7e516093.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Steven but it was an idle question posted out of curiosity rather than anything else , That switch of yours would be great for winching though surely you could bypass the thermostat so it doesn't cut out ?

Ooo I like that, must be a D4-d thing.

It's on my 3.0td as well (1998) although the button is marked "Idle Up"

Last edited:
Also on the 120 series, part of the winter pack I believe. Very handy on those cold mornings.

I have the same "Idle up switch" but it will work when the engine temp is warm as well. It also says "Idle up" Yours looks like it purely there for warming up the engine from cold. Very strange...

Back