Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

glow plug replacement

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi lads
I know little about diesels.
My 3.0 td 95 is a bit slow to fire when cold, and when warm runs a bit lumpy.
Been reading on the interweb that these are all the symptoms of failed glow plugs - the light goes on and off very quickly.
Anyone replaced them? Was it easy? Snap any? How much did you pay for a set?
All advice appreciated, cheers.
John

The light does go off very quickly, no idea why, seems a common fault.

You need about 5 or 6 seconds before turning the ignition, gives the plugs time to heat up.

It may be worth you testing the buzzbar to check its getting 12v - helps if someone turns the key for you, as you only have a short period before the power is auto shut off.

I dont think glow plugs are particularily expensive, less than £20 ea if memeory serves. There are plenty on ebay.

If you think you have a problem, it will get worse as the outside temp drops - a quick fix is to pour a kettle of boiling water over the inlet manifold, I used to do this to get my LJ started.

Cheers

Pete

Avoid the cheap ebay ones, I've heard of them not lasting long and not having the correct Ohms for these vehicles. That said, there are ones which are better than others...

On removal I recommend soaking them over a couple days in some oil and when actually removing them have the engine hot before hand, and you should have no problems.

Back