Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Glow plugs !!!

Dr Bob

Taking the injectors out and noticed glow plugs. What temp do they come in?I thought direct injection didn't need them.

Bob

Most diesels have glow plugs, even the latest common rail ones. The late 24v 80s do not have glow plugs, somehow they manage to get away with it. My understanding is that glow plugs always come on before the engine cranks over, hence you should wait for the glow plug light to go out before starting the engine.

Yep, I used to wait but on my old 12V 80 I didn't bother waiting for the glo plugs last winter and she started first flick even at -26C.

It's a peach to start at any temp, it's been 36C today!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Not all diesels have them, I had a ford cargo lorry that didn't have them as far as I can recall, neither did a tractor we once had but I can't remember which one.

Does anybody know how they manage without?

Th
ey usually have some other cold starting device in older engines such as rack advancement, ether injection, a manifold flame device to name a few of many contraptions used on older diesel engines.

Andy

Th
ey usually have some other cold starting device in older engines such as rack advancement, ether injection, a manifold flame device to name a few of many contraptions used on older diesel engines.

Andy

And are all of these basically crap?
Because I remember both of these as damn hard to start if it was even remotely cold? Is that why we have pretty much stuck with glow plug technology

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Glow plugs used t be reserved for indirect injection engines. In the early days of indirect injection there was a device that basically stared a "controlled" fire in the inlet manifold !!! and yes they were rubbish . Most direct injection engines relied on an enriching device that was either manually operated or temp controlled . I had a Range Rover with the 3.5 Mazda engine in it that had a 12 volt hear matrix in the air intake. Have to say first time I have noticed them on direct injection.

Bob

Back