Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Goodwinch solenoid issue or winch ?

dont think a goldfish TDS will fit in the TBR hidden winch tray, its about 2cm too tall and will snag against the body work between winch tray and aircon condensor...

TDS pretty wide/long too at 61cm

the Warn is about 16.5cm tall and goldfish 19cm

the winch Jon got will fit though its 16.5cm tall and 54cm wide

Last edited:
Does that TDS height measurement include the free spool lever? I thought the TDS was 16.5 high for the main body of the winch.The TDS is definitely much wider though because of the cone brake on the end of the gearbox.

yes the height is 191mm with the lever, but on photos it looks like the freespool lever doesnt add much height?maybe 1cm

I will ask David B to measure one for me

Looking at the drawings on the goodwinch site it does look like the TDS really is nearly that tall, not just the free spool lever sticking up.

I can measure my TDS9.5 in the morning but Jon is right, there's not a lot of difference between the top of the winch and the top of the freespool lever.

Thanks Doodle.
Yes Jon it does look like little difference. David sent me the diagrams.

I cleaned up end cap of winch and where it meets motor. And stator and other bits. The motor turned once for a split second after this. It doesnt smell burnt. All contacts look secure and copper braids to the brushes intact.
At a loss to why it wont run.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
the come-up DV-9 looks like it will fit

http://www.comeupwinch.com/product_header.aspx?pmc_name=Automotive_Winch#

which is the "seal" version, the other one discountinued

[FONT=&quot] Seal version @ £495.00 complete or £450.00 without rope and solenoid.

waiting to find out measurement of winch heigh excl. free spool lever (its 18.1cm with the lever)
and if warranty voidedor not by breaking seals to rotate gearbox end around to line up freespool lever correctly in my winch mount

otherwise my choice will be limited to the "winch-it" winch Jon bought - which will fit according to drawings, but we dont know what that one is like yet
[/FONT]

another option David @goodwinch has suggested, is to mount the winch upright

stripped the old Warn winch down again last night

I think the problem with it is due to rust build up around two of the "stator" magnets on inside of motor housing.
I think the rust has breached the brown-paper like material surround the wires that surround the Stator magnets and shorting them
i removed one and put a sheet of thin paper under it as test insultation and winch worked again - breifly

only two magnets are in this rusty condition, when i have time i will take them all out and clean them up and the motor casing, and try and insulate them properly

meanwhile i have ordered a TDS 9.5....

New TDS 9.5 arrived today by 11am, only ordered it from David yesterday morning.

given it a coat of clear lacquer as Chris suggested

Attachments

• IMG-20130613-01002.jpg
    IMG-20130613-01002.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 102
Maybe I should have done that with mine before I put it in. :lol:

Still, it's survived ok so far, if it starts looking scruffy I'll clean it down and repaint it.

Back