Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Goodwinch solenoid issue or winch ?

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I was fitting a new switch on dash today to control winch in/out
i was testing it and unfortunately seem to have broken winch or solenoid...

its old warn winch of Chris's and his goldfish solenoid

i was running it one way, then pressed switch to wind other way when the which hadnt quite stopped spinning...
now solenoid just clicks when i use the switch or the remote

is there a fuse in the solenoid or have i bust something....:shifty:

OK - I took dogs for a 10min walk, then tried the winch again, it spooled briefly then stalled again - solenoid just clicking. (I have disconnected the in-cab switch)

well i stripped all bumper off and metal underbumper, and the bugger worked perfectly for a few minutes..
then wouldnt work again
so i was going to check voltage to armatures with voltmeter and the git started working again...

GGRRR

annyoing being an intermittent issue, as bound not to work when i really need it...

Last edited:
OK - I will carry on rambling to myself :whistle:

i checked with volt meter power going to winch terminals and it was showing 12v on A1, F1, F2 etc when i operated winch control

so I took the Warn winch out, and used a length of winch wire with loops on end to link A1 to F2 on winch, then connected a spare battery with jump leads to earth and +ve to F1 - nothing...
tapped motor with a hammer and it started working

then tried linking A1 to F1, and +F2 - winch ran the other way

so the intermittent problem is with the winch and not the solenoid

stripped motor out and a bit of rust and lots of grey-green sandy stuff

blew air to clean it with compressor. and fine emery to clean up the contact areas

reassembled and cant get it to work now :icon-cry:

Good excuse to get a nice shiney new Goldfish winch! :icon-cool:

guess a 9000lbs one like my warn was

thinking of the Goodwinch TDS-9.5c £399

any recommendations ?

Attachments

• IMG-20130609-00990.jpg
    IMG-20130609-00990.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG-20130609-00989.jpg
    IMG-20130609-00989.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG-20130609-00988.jpg
    IMG-20130609-00988.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 111
I fancied 251272237352 on ebay to scratch my winch itch and then a heavy box appeared under my workbench :shifty: Can't tell you what the quality is like till after the 16th when I get my hands on it properly but considering the price I think it will be very interesting to compare it with the 12k TDS I put on the 100 for a lot more money.

Ugh, that really does look pretty nasty in there.

Did you see the Come Up that I ordered?

Chris

Generally I have found with Warn's that the end cap for the motor has the two 'legs' inside it that the bolts go through.These 'legs' go up tight against the brush pack plate and hold it tight against the body of the motor to earth it.Ive often seen these legs burnt on the end so that theyre not holding the brush pack tight and the motor will not work. A couple of M6 washers usually does the trick.

Yes i saw your pics of that winch Chris, finish looks good. But have you used it yet?

Jon that one looks interesting, but an unknown?

Thanks Dan i will try that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yeah captinoversteer is right the alloy end cap needs a good earth through the metal motor body so clean the corrosion off the ends of the motor and where the end cap meets the motor. they alway corrode badly there.

worth a try at that price imo, hard for it to disappoint and the seller seems ok based on previous dealings. Not impressed with the TDS and not willing to spend TDS or more money on another unknown which all the made to a price imports are really.

one question about these TDS, come-up and your new winch Jon

on the warn winch, i undid the freespool lever end when i got it off chris, with his instructions to rotate it round just over 90degrees, and replaced the lever with a another device, that works with a tool to turn to freespool etc
so i could use a tool to access the freespool through a slot in the TBR hidden winch mount
since the conventional freespool lever is not accessible when the bumper is on the car

do these other winches allow you to do this, or is it only the warn?

what was wrong with your TDS Jon ? - the finish quality or the function of them?

I see winch it have the same winch with a steel-rope (i already have a brand new synthetic which i will use with whatever winch i buy)
cheaper to get one with steel rope and swap it with my synthetic

Not used it Andy as it's not bolted to a truck. But I bought it because I have seen them in action, several times and was sufficiently impressed. You can't really go wrong with a Goldfish for 'normal use'. Some question marks of the solenoids but mine have had a real battering and kept going. The new TGT solenoid is a worthwhile upgrade for any winch I'd say.

Chris

I've used this firm to buy my synthetic rope, hawse, remotes and other bits when doing my winch install and subsequently my new TG Thompsons winch solenoid. Which incidentally does not fit in a standard sized solenoid box and I really must update my own winch thread with my further findings on the TGT solenoid. With regards the winch with or without synthetic rope, why not give him a call and see if he can supply it without any rope? It may be slightly cheaper due to the lack of rope, but it should be cheaper to post as it'll e 15Kg lighter :)

Steven

was that "winch-it" you are referring to ?

I've used this firm to buy my synthetic rope, hawse, remotes and other bits when doing my winch install and subsequently my new TG Thompsons winch solenoid. Which incidentally does not fit in a standard sized solenoid box and I really must update my own winch thread with my further findings on the TGT solenoid. With regards the winch with or without synthetic rope, why not give him a call and see if he can supply it without any rope? It may be slightly cheaper due to the lack of rope, but it should be cheaper to post as it'll e 15Kg lighter :)

I spoke to him too. Top fella and yes, it's Winch-it. I asked for a price on a rope with no hawse. He was happy to oblige.

Chris

what was wrong with your TDS Jon ? - the finish quality or the function of them?
Quality of finish and the solenoid which failed I think the 2nd time it was used. I don't think they (the winch) are sold sealed, I think you have to open them up and do some work yourself to get that? I don't think the TDS is bad (for an electric winch anyway) just nothing about the TDS makes me think it's worth the extra money for my intended (lack of) use.

Can't say about the freespool before Sunday but ask the seller, they'll know.

Yes it was. As Chris says he's a very personable chap to speak with, but you need to call him before 12:00 each day as he only works until this time!

Most allow the end to be rotated allowing the freespool to be moved. It's a pretty standard sort of thing. But yes worth confirming. My TDSs have pulled and pulled and I would recommend (and have obviously) they are good inside too. Mine have been thrugh hell and when you strip them, you wonder why you bothered. They are well sealed. The solenoid issue is unfortunate. Jons did fail, but mine have soldered on and on. True, when you strip them, they're crudely made. Simple bent bus contacts. I am not sure that an Albright is that different inside. The TDS is let down by paint finish though and mine has peeled off in sheets. The Come Up looks baked on. One last word on this though and that is that the back up from David is legendary. He has never let me down, nor failed to respond. If you want a winch that never beaks don, never needs servicing and has awesome support - let me know when you find it. I know that hydraulic might be the answer in part, but when you find a system that supplied pressure without problem and when the engine isn't running, let me know that too. When you have two winches there is a commonality of parts which is handy, but using the rear winch more than the front as I do, I could be tempted into a front hydo winch. But as my only winch? I'm not convinced. When working, they are better I think than an electric, but if you have a failure in the field, what can you do to fix them?

Anyway, that's not today's debate I know. I think that looks a tidy winch Jon. Do you know if it's a drum brake or slowed from the gear end? Another advantage of the TDS is that the drum spool doesn't get hot and melt your rope on descents.

C

The support from David is one thing that tempts me to get a winch from him
I have already emailed him about buying a winch sans rope, hawse and solenoid
and about rotating the freespool and fitting that TBR freespool lock/unlock device

This old warn winch and TBR mount I bought off you Chris - came with your goldfish solenoid pack - since you kept the Warn one for lil blue
it has worked fine for me,
i once thought i had an issue with it, and phoned David and he spoken me through testing it

turned out i had a short in my wiring :whistle: due the way i had fitted the wire terminals - which "step" to on side, so i unbolted the terminal and rotated the 180degrees and refitted
no more shorting.

Last edited:
it's a drum brake Chris, so no long descents without monitoring temps, but as I've never been in a situation where that would have been a factor I don't care and iirc this rope has a sheath over the first wrap for added resistance. In reality it takes a lot of braking for it to start being an issue. I usually pack a hand winch if I think winching might be involved, much more reliable than electric, just a lot more effort :lol:

Sorted then. Yes I like the sleeve on the rope at the drum end. Good idea.

The Warn solenoid IIRC are four separate coils packed in little tin cans. They're sealed. I suppose that a good and a bad idea. Incidentally the the Come Up has a typical Albright style of contactor but the box it's in is actually sealed specifically to keep the outside, out.

C

Back