Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Got It!

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Steven, weve had some epic trips together and I will miss them, and you. :icon-cry:

But.................................................The possibilities for trips over there are endless! :dance:

The Victorian High Country, Cape York, The Kimberlys, The Simpson Desert, Fraser Island, Tasmania...........................:icon-cool:

I cant think of a better country to own a LandCruiser in. :violin:

You should come for a holiday and we can go off road, outback style! :icon-wink:

Last edited:
Heading for Victoria Ed. :icon-cool:

I was in Mornington (just South of Melbourne) for 6 months when i was over there, so know a few people. So will probably base myself there if I can find work.

Condition of my VISA is that I stay in Victoria for the first 2 years.

Im hoping to get qualified as a welder/machine driver in that time. Then when my 2 years are up go and work in the mines for a few years and hopefully earn a load of money.

Then move to Byron Bay and buy some land and build a house.

Thats the dream anyway. :icon-cool:

With the importing of the 'Cruiser you've only got a couple of months to import it from the date your visa starts, if I remember correctly

Also compliance plates get issued to a place only a couple of times a year (so the rumour goes...) so they can be hard to get towards the end of the Aus financial year!

I've got a friend out at Ballarat who runs a FJ60 on LPG (the on Mexican plates in the photo of my FJ73); I'll ask if he knows of any work going.

Wouldn't bother with Byron personally; Coffs and Dorrigo is better (better trails and fewer stoners!) the only benefit with Byron is that the land can be cheap from Govt. Seized auctions; we worked on a property that was bought from the govt post seizure, as the previous owners had used it to grow marijuana on a commercial scale; they still got regular fly overs checking for what was being grown!

Only problem I see with taking the LJ70 is that it may be hard to get long range fuel tanks; we could have done with another 70 litre tank (on top of the 95 litre that we had) on the FJ73

Problem in your plan is that the mines are slowing a bit at the moment... but I do know people who work in them as boilermakers (what the Aussies call welders) for about $2500pw...

Have you looked at the Australian Govt websites for importing vehicles? Are you going in on pre-89 or personal import?

Good luck with it all; who knows I may be back out for another year in May/June!!!

I ought to sort out some of my 4wding photos for here... it would show the others why it's a good place to be!

Thanks Edd. :thumbup:

Taking it in on the personal import scheme.

Its proving quite hard to reach the 100 points needed for the application. :?

Ive just applied to open a bank account, thats 25 points.

Resignation letter to current employer is another 50 points.

So just need to find another 25 from some where. :think:

Spent most of the evening reading threads on the various expat forums trying to find out how others have done it. :icon-smile:

They're buggers; out of this list you can't do the following until you get there:

• Applied for an Australian Tax File Number.
  • Registered with Medicare.
  • Applied for an Australian driver's licence.

They really don't like you being there! Tax file number takes 2 mins; you should already have it though if you've worked there in the past, you keep the same number for life. But if you've not got one you can't apply for it out here.

Driving licence in NSW is after you've been there for 6 months
Medicare is a 2 minute job in the office with your visa print out and passport

Who did you go with for banking? We use Commonwealth Bank as you can withdraw money at any Post Office (there's always a post office out west, but not always an ATM!) and they let you apply from the UK.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You can apply for an Australian Super account which then gives you a reason to apply for a Aussie TFN. Both can be done online. The Super people will want a TFN to activate the account, but I just used their letter asking for this, to apply for the TFN. I can pm you details/links if you want. I also got my brother (in Brisbane) to draw up a rental agreement for me using some published Aussie rental agreement forms.

Asked the guys the on the (Volvo) forum; they know of nothing going for work at the moment, but they said that for regional VIC the best bet is to get CV's in the door and go from there; they're more likely to take someone who has the guts. Certainly one of them found his work by just asking there if they had any work.

One thing I got involved in before my Visa fell apart was the Bush Fire Brigade in NSW, basically I used that as a way to meet new people and get involved with the community (plus some interesting skills). Unfortunately I got my clearance etc through, and then about 2 weeks later had to leave :(

They're buggers; out of this list you can't do the following until you get there:

• Applied for an Australian Tax File Number.
  • Registered with Medicare.
  • Applied for an Australian driver's licence.

They really don't like you being there! Tax file number takes 2 mins; you should already have it though if you've worked there in the past, you keep the same number for life. But if you've not got one you can't apply for it out here.

Driving licence in NSW is after you've been there for 6 months
Medicare is a 2 minute job in the office with your visa print out and passport

Who did you go with for banking? We use Commonwealth Bank as you can withdraw money at any Post Office (there's always a post office out west, but not always an ATM!) and they let you apply from the UK.

Still got the letter they sent me in Febuary 2009 which gives me a non resident tax file number.

So I can put down my TFN, but it asks for evidence that I've applied for a TFN. :icon-confused:

Ive opened an account with The Commonwealth, just waiting for them to send me all the paper work. :icon-smile:

https://www.commbankuk.co.uk/

Great news Ben - made up for you dude :icon-cool:

Thanks man. :thumbup:

You can apply for an Australian Super account which then gives you a reason to apply for a Aussie TFN. Both can be done online. The Super people will want a TFN to activate the account, but I just used their letter asking for this, to apply for the TFN. I can pm you details/links if you want. I also got my brother (in Brisbane) to draw up a rental agreement for me using some published Aussie rental agreement forms.

Thanks. :icon-smile:

Im hoping I might be OK giving them my TFN and Common Wealth bank account details. :think: :pray:

Good idea on the rental agreement forms. :clap:

Asked the guys the on the (Volvo) forum; they know of nothing going for work at the moment, but they said that for regional VIC the best bet is to get CV's in the door and go from there; they're more likely to take someone who has the guts. Certainly one of them found his work by just asking there if they had any work.

One thing I got involved in before my Visa fell apart was the Bush Fire Brigade in NSW, basically I used that as a way to meet new people and get involved with the community (plus some interesting skills). Unfortunately I got my clearance etc through, and then about 2 weeks later had to leave :(

Im hoping to see my old boss when I get over there. Just hope I can remember where he lives. :oops:

If he hasnt got any work for me I was thinking of contacting some agencies. :icon-smile:

Money is going to be extremely tight for the first few months. :|

My choice is either stay here longer (with the horrible winter weather/darkness) and save more money.

Or go over with not a lot of money and struggle for the first few months.

So im choosing the second option. Haven't really got many friends out there and no family, haven't got anywhere to live or a job. But.................................At least it will be the middle of summer! :dance: :icon-cool:

After doing some searching on the expat forums I found some useful information about what people in a similar position have done:-

, hi my hubby is a self-employed bricklayer so we did a mock letter to the main housebuilder that he builds for informing them that he would be unavailable for any contracts as we were emigrating. We also enclosed a copy of our instructions to the estate agent to put our house up for sale, a letter from our rental people in Oz, a copy of our shipping quote .... I also think we put our flight details down. All in all it took 5 weeks for us to get our approval and we have just delivered our car up to Yorkshire this morning to the shippers depot.

I emailed everything I could that 'might' have made up the points and it was accepted - my import approval request was granted. Although not on the 'official list' (which they do say isn't exhaustive) I used my mortgage company's letter approving our intent to 'let' the property rather than sell. My resignation letter, even though I have no work in Oz (yet!), An Aussie bank statement for an account not yet validated and used the address of the holiday apartment rental we will use as a base to find somewhere more permanent. Also booked flight details etc.

So a good experience of the process. Showing full intent to move rather than trying to pull a fast one (which is why the controls are in place) and my car is due off the boat in a week!

So maybe there not as strict as i thought with the criteria for the import approval. :think:

Im hoping with TFN, bank account details, resignation letter, and shipping quotes, I wont be far off having enough evidence. :pray:

Im hoping to stay with my friend for the first week when I get there, so maybe I can put her address down as where I will be living. :think:

This is the last hurdle now, once ive got my import approval everything else should be fairly straightforward, expensive but straightforward. :icon-smile:

Have you seen the "poms in oz" forum? Very helpful

Yes, thanks Paul. :thumbup:

Thats where those quotes are from above. :icon-wink:

Feel kind of guilty I've never posted on that forum, considering how useful I've found it. :oops:

Let me know if you need anything

Thanks Paul. :thumbup:

Have you been off road over there yet?

I cant wait to get back to the Vic High Country! :icon-cool:

I am off road almost daily, but in my Holden Commodore! I am chasing combine harvesters around at the moment as harvest is on. The Cruiser is coming together nicely, just the lift (Tough Dog) and the the front axle rebuild to do, im lucky as where i live has access to loads of National Parks within 100Kms

Hey Ben,

Sounds like you're really striking gold !

Now just be a little careful inviting all the folk here, to come visit you,,,,,,,

You never know.
You might come home one night after work, ND find a few forum members perched on your door step !!!

Ps, Weifang is a whole lot closer to Vic, than UK is !!

Gra.

I managed just 12/25 :thumbdown:

I got the same as you Chas. :doh:

Back