Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Got It!

Some answers for you Ben, these are the answers from the 2 guys I mentioned on the other thread, but I thought it was more useful in this one. I know them on TurboBricks.com which is a Volvo forum!

I asked:

Paddler Ed said:
Angus/VQ,

Talking to one of the guys on the European LandCruiser forum who is emigrating to Aus in the New Year, he's private importing his LJ70 LandCruiser. What does the VicRoads equivalent to the NSW Blue Slip cover? He's just dropped it on it's roof and had to cut it off and weld a new one on (A-Pillar off at the scuttle, B and C pillars off at the roof), is that going to be a problem? He knows about the tyre and wheel regulations already, so he'll get some stock sized ones to go on it. What else will it look at? I've had a look on the VicRoads website, and it says about the VASS test (which is the one that I'm trying to research for him) for personal imports.

Ta

Answers were:
Angus242164 said:
Basically he'll need to put it through three separate processes. The first one is to get it inspected by an engineer who issues VASS (Victorian Automotive Signatory Scheme) certificates, so they can inspect the repairs made to the roof, and certify that they're done correctly.

The second process will be getting it complianced, which means getting it inspected to make sure it meets all the relevant ADR's, and fitting a compliance plate to the firewall. I don't know much about this process, maybe VASS engineers can do it, or maybe someone else has to do it. A Landcruiser from the UK will probably pass with no alternations, but some vehicles from Japan etc. need minor changes to lighting (the way driving lights are switched, adding instrument light dimmers etc), some need side intrusion bars added to the doors, and some may need the seatbelts to be replaced with ones from an Aussie spec. equivalent model.

The third process will be to get a roadworthy inspection done. This is my area of expertise, I'm happy to answer specific questions but it would take way too long to explain everything that gets checked, what it gets checked for etc. but most of it is commonsense stuff. If the car fails, you get given a pink copy of the certificate, which explains what needs to be fixed so it can pass. You then get 7 days to bring it back for a second inspection (most workshops don't charge you for the second check) and if everything has been fixed, it passes and you get a green copy.

The best thing to do would be to go to a workshop that does roadworthy inspections, and ask if you can get a "safety check" done, which is the same inspection, but no paperwork, they just give you a list of items that are unroadworthy. You can then fix it all in your own time, and bring it back for a roadworthy inspection, knowing that it'll pass.

If he's anywhere near Ballarat we'd be happy to do it for him.

Angus works for Mr Brakes in Ballarat, who also do Terrain Tamer bits...

VQ said:
Pretty much if its been repaired and the history can be found of it happening, the vass is an engineer report saying its been repaired safely. Costs about $800+ and it will also need to be roadworthy etc.

Angus is more familiar with cars than VQ is, but both of them are good in their own ways.

Hope that helps,

Ed

Thanks Ed. :icon-biggrin:

I see no point in mentioning the accident if theirs no visible signs. :icon-wink:

I'm heading to the other side of the city to Ballarat, but if i cant find work then I may well find myself in that area, in which case I will go and see your friend Angus. :icon-cool:

I wont be in any mad rush to get my cruiser on the road because I'm going to buy a car as soon as I get to OZ if not before. :icon-biggrin:

Woke up to find an email confirming I've got my vehicle import approval! :dance:

So I can now book my container and flight! :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

Another step in the right direction,

Good on yea'

Gra.

Thanks Gra! :thumbup:

Last day at work today aswell, then 6 weeks off! :dance:

All coming together nicely for you Ben! Lets hope it continues like that. Oz seems to have made it past the end of the world so looking good on that front too :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ben,

Just seen a post from Angus on TurboBricks; he's selling a Hyundai Excel for $3100 with FSH and 12 months RWC/Rego.

Thought it might be worth letting you know, I know it'll be a trek to get out to it, but I reckon a good country car is better than a good city car. I suspect that he's picked it up via work (he is a mechanic), or it's his wife's old car whilst her V8 Commo was getting an engine rebuild and slight mods.

Let me know if you're keen and I'll put you in touch with him via email

Thanks Ed. :thumbup:

I wouldnt mind a trip out to the "Goldfields", got friends over that way in Keynton. :icon-cool:

Not sure its fairly priced though? :?

Just going by what similar cars are fetching on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hyundai-..._Cars&hash=item20ce44dbfe&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_949

I think their horrible cars. :snooty:

But they are cheap, and cheap is good! :icon-biggrin:

Been busy looking at rental properties the last few days.

Ideally I want to live on the peninsula, but I need to make sure I've got work before committing to anywhere. :think:

3 yrs older, and no rego (OK VIC is cheap rego, but that's still another $600ish for the year)

Also a lot of cars get sold outside of eBay in Aus (we did that with both of ours) so they don't always show what the actual sale price was.

Just thought I'd lob it out to you; I know they're not the nicest of cars, but they are common as horse siht... actually they're just like horse siht.... useful, but not that great!

:lol:

Thanks.

I'd like to buy a cruiser but I've got to be sensible and just get a cheap run about to start with. :eusa-naughty:

Already got an epic 4000k+ 4WD trip planned for April! :dance:

Git. :p for the trip... but then again I know where I want to go next as well...

Also want to investigate the old Great Ocean Road more; we found an easy bit in one area that we were happy to do solo, but there's loads of other little bits; we did Princetown to Lower Gellibrand on the Old Ocean Road. I think there's mileage in finding more of that... but I have a plan for that funds and vehicle permitting... If you look on Google Maps for Old Ocean Road there's quite a bit around...

I've been looking at Cruiser's over there; there's a rusty Troopy camper up in QLD for bogger all... but it looks like it needs some bog, as it's an ex hire, but has a low roof (pop Top)...

Had a sudden thought Ben... you do know that the beds are different sizes out there? Never occured to us whilst we were out there, it's only since getting back to the UK that we've found this out.

We brought our Queen size bed back with us (long story... short version is that it was bought with the GF's inheritance from her Gran who died whilst we were out there) and our UK mattress doesn't fit, it's too small.

Not sure if you were planning on taking that sort of stuff out with you, but they do have Ikea there for cheap furniture!

Thanks Ed. :icon-wink:

Not really taking any furniture. Mainly just tools and my truck. :think:

Good Plan; the only reason I mentioned bedding was because linen (Manchester out there WTF?!) is so expensive...

Remember to keep the receipts for anything you buy before you go, if you can prove that you've exported it you can claim the VAT back... Have a read of this lovely document to see what you can claim back because you're leaving the country for more than 12 months.

Edit: Point 2.4.3 is the one in particular that tells you you can do it; when you're leaving the country I think it's a case of showing them you Visa for Aus.

HTH

Last edited:
Interesting about claiming VAT back, didnt think of that. :think:

I know I'm meant to list anything less than 12 months old, so they can charge me more in import duty.

Yeah like I'm going to do that! :icon-rolleyes: :lol:

We had to list anything that we'd owned for less than 6 months coming back... as it took 3 months for our stuff to get to us, there was no problem with it being too new!

I think we didn't declare that we'd bought an iPad and reclaimed the GST on leaving Aus.

I'm not sure how strict they are on it all going to Aus; if you've got a good agent helping you they'll advise you.

I was thinking of the tools etc that you were taking over; any that you buy now you can claim back 1/6th of their value, so for every £120 that's £20 back... it'll add up soon enough! I'm not sure, but you may even be able to claim back the VAT cost of the shipping... maybe give them a ring?!

Just booked my flight! :dance:

£528 with air France. :icon-biggrin:

Havnt booked my container yet as I'm still trying to hammer the price a bit lower. Its currently sat at £1800 for a 20ft container, I'm hoping to get them to go a few hundred lower yet if possible. :pray:

All starting to feel a bit real now. :?

What's your baggage with Air France?

I know when I go back I'm likely to go Virgin Atlantic; 25kg +25kg sporting goods (one mountain bike in a box with a load of stuff...) + another 25kg bag is only an extra £30 IIRC when booked in advance.

Only problem is that my bag takes 32kg of stuff, as I discovered flying back with Emirates.

Apologies I got confused. :oops:

Its China Southern Airlines I'm flying with.

Manchester to Paris

Paris to Guangzhou

Guangzhou to Melbourne.

Baggage allowance is 30kg. :icon-cool:

When you hoping to go out Ed?

Back