Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Got It!

Get a Nationwide account; they're good for overseas transactions as well, and a lot easier than explaining large amounts of cash.

International Bank Transfers take about 5 working days Aus (CBA) to NatWest, so I'd expect it to be similar going the other way.

I'm not sure how quick PureEx are, but they have the advantage you can lock in your exchange rate (at a better rate hopefully) for up to 2 years. I'm certainly looking at doing that with my transfers for uni fees etc.

Last edited:
Been with Nationwide for 10 years now Ed, will look into it. :icon-wink:

Chas the ship is called Northern Javelin.

Leaves UK on 2/2/13 and arrives in Melbourne on 13/3/13. Well their the estimated dates anyway.
:icon-biggrin:

I hope my container isnt one of the top ones on the edge. :?

I'd hate for it to be blown off in strong winds. :icon-cry:

Attachments

• Northern-Javelin-962805.jpg
    Northern-Javelin-962805.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 144
Been with Nationwide for 10 years now Ed, will look into it. :icon-wink:

Chas the ship is called Northern Javelin.

Leaves UK on 2/2/13 and arrives in Melbourne on 13/3/13. Well their the estimated dates anyway.
:icon-biggrin:

I hope my container isnt one of the top ones on the edge. :?

I'd hate for it to be blown off in strong winds. :icon-cry:
Got it

Northern Javelin
Last Position Received

Area: Malacca Strait
Latitude / Longitude: 2.5261° / 101.5916° (Map)
Speed/Course 31 knots / 0˚
Last Known Port: YANTIAN
Info Received: 10d 10h 14min ago (AIS Source: 1004)
Not Currently in Range
Destination: SUEZ CANAL

Thanks Ed. :icon-biggrin:

Was thinking of taking most of it in cash to be honest. :think:

Going to end up spending a load in the first few weeks getting a car etc. :icon-wink:

If you do take cash you must remember to declare it, if you take more than $10k. I will be using a the Transfers service again. There is also a new thing available now that involves peer to peer fx exchanges, which seems to return quite favourable rates, but I haven't tried it yet.

Wish I had more than $10k to take. :icon-cry:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm with HSBC who have a very good international service through their Global Service. Easy especially as i still have many interests in the UK but the overseas accounts ahead of time was a breeze, went on the plane with the ozzie cards and cheque book in my pocket, nice to know when flying over. Instant international transfers too (week days) and the exchange rate is not too bad. To get the best companies like moneycorp do quite well.

31 knots?? That's some cargo ship. You sure it's not really a destroyer??

And hope it doesn't get pirated on its way back with your container on board, Ben.

:lol:

31 knots?? That's some cargo ship. You sure it's not really a destroyer??

And hope it doesn't get pirated on its way back with your container on board, Ben.

:lol:

That's what it said! I just copied and pasted.

We arrived in the middle of the heat wave, temp was 39c! Luckily a bit cooler yesterday and today :)
You need to update your profile location ET!!! Good to hear you're over there all okay :icon-cool:

Good to see your prep work coming along too Ben - not long & counting buddy :wtf:

Area: Malacca Strait

isnt that where all the pirates are?

Container will be here 10 days tomorrow! :dance:

Please lets not have any more talk of pirates. :eusa-naughty:

Not sure my insurance covers that. :icon-cry:

Got the insurance sorted yesterday. Reading the small print theirs loads of get out clauses for them. :x

Been busy cleaning the truck, then yesterday after running her for a bit I noticed a puddle of coolant underneath.
Bloody water pump was leaking. :thumbdown:

Your ship is just passing Sicily on its way to Le Havre, no sign of pirates :lol:

Doesn't the shipping insurance more or less just cover the container falling from the ship ... and then any subsequent damage (as it's your property whilst in transit) it may cause to other vessels? I.e next to useless?

No the insurance, which has cost 1.3% of the declared value of the container contents covers a lot more than that Grant.

It covers me for any damage to my property, be it damp/mould to soft furnishings/clothes. Electrical items damaged by damp. Fire and salt water ingress. And if the container is lost/ dropped/ damaged etc.

If the container is lost I will get the total value of my contents and the shipping costs back. :icon-biggrin:

I didnt go with the insurance the shipping company offer as they usually charge 2.5-3% of declared value of contents. I shopped around and got a better deal. :icon-wink:

Nathan, I fly on the 31st January. Arrive in Melbourne on the 2nd February. :icon-cool:

Think i'll be passing you in the air as going back for a holiday about then

You missing the snow and ice Paul? :lol:

You going back for long? :think:

Last edited:
I really want to play in the snow, i am only two hours from the snow fields here but wont get any for long time yet. I seem to have been in summer for over a year as was in Sudan before here. 43 today.

Going back for a month so may need to buy a cheap cruiser to play with.

Back