Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Great White replaces Lil Blue

Battered and Blue said:
Thanks Boys, all sounds like sensible stuff to me. Still don't quite get the front hub stuff. I need to take one apart and see for myself. All seems to function well down there though at the moment.
I have reconnected the rocker cover blow by pipe to the airbox. Idle is smoother. I traced the other end of the rogue pipe. It went almost all the way down the chassis and was terminated by simply poking it through a hole INTO the chassis rail. Some of the oil under there is definitely that which has then leaked out of the various drain holes. WTF?

Felling a little happier. Had a blast about in it. Seems good if a little smokey. But - first job is most certainly brakes. OK, new calipers and discs, but they are not set up right. Nearly put me through a wall when I stood on them. ABS not working as we know.

My plan (he says confidently) is to get it straight to start with. So all the bits and bobs before any mods. I need to be sure about it before I spend money and cut holes in it. If it's then top notch then I can always sell it pretty much for what I paid, I would think. It's pretty good now, but a bit of work then it should pass any inspection. Then

ARB winch bumper
Goldfish 12 winch
Snorker
OME or similar springs and dampers
African Outback drawers
Hanibal rack
Roof tent
Custom rear bumper with winch
Better but only slightly bigger rubber
VIAIR system

That should do for starters :D :D :D :D

Chris

I think you need to seek some medical help :twisted: I can already see you ending up in Great White, being Great MODIFIED White :lol:

Congratulations on the purchase, I bet your itching to get the welder out and start playing….

I had to replace the passenger side engine mount on my old 80 as the rubber bonding failed, that was at about 80k. If you jack up the engine slightly on that side you should be able to see if there's a gap. Wasn't very hard to change. I don't remember wobbles at idle but it did make a sort of groaning noise in reverse under load as the engine lifted and the sump vibrated against the mount.

It might be worth checking the fuel tank breather and filler cap breather are clear as well.

looks great mate....

not read the whole thread yet...

but they are all a bit sooty... so don't worry about that...

I have a fag lighter here somewhere if I find it this weekend whilst sorting out the shed I will psot it to you..

anyway congrats mate looks good....

Hey WELL DONE!!! Congrats!! Looks as good as ...

'A Bought One' .. oh - OK, so it is...

Many happy miles in The Great White, Chris

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Out early this morning, even had the sunroof open. Stopped for a quick photo call.

photo.jpg

That's all.

Chris

I'll say it again, White is the best colour for the 80. :cool:

I wanted a red one :(

Oh stop moaning, I hear you say. Be happy. I am, it's not rusty :p Spent all day under it yesterday and I have not found anything that makes me worried.

C

Nice truck Chris, I'm waiting for the "transmogrification" thread now :mrgreen:

I reckon that's the tidiest white one I've seen (runs and hides)

Jimbo4x4 said:
I reckon that's the tidiest white one I've seen (runs and hides)
in not falling for that one :evil:

Amazing what you can do with Photoshop isn't it. Actually it's beautiful here today. Not going to do too much dirty stuff today, might attend to some of the lesser bits and bobs. Got to go out later (hopefully) to pick up some parts. I'm pretty sure that it has had a spray at some point. But as I have said before, I thinks it's been pretty professionally done. But having said that - maybe it's just been looked after. Possibly been garaged quite a bit of its life. There is nothing in the window sliders nor any collection of crud in the sunroof or even under the front scuttle where I have removed the panel to get the wiper linkages out.

Chris

Nice looking '80. Look forward to reading of its "upgrading" as you work on your new project truck,

why the change from the SWB 90 to the 80? are you planning some big trips or is it going to be a shooting truck like lil blue?

I have covered this before really Andy. But can't remember where! I bought Lil Blue as a shooting vehicle. Didn't want to lug a full sized 90 around. Thought the SWB manual would be really frugal and short shifting would give me maybe 35mpg? As it's 700 mile round trip, it's quite important. Once I got the muddies on aloaded it up full, I was only getting about 25 out of it. Anyway, I thought

Better have some decent tyres for Scottish mud.
Got stuck, thought, Hmm. Winch
Got stuck again. Thought, hmm, suspension
.... :roll:

You can see the pattern. Then went 'Wow, what a great tool I have created. Fantastic off road machine... Oh bugger. I need a truck for shooting. Not off roading' Right, start again. It was a small handicap at times when I had to pick up the kids and wanted to go in the 90. Only two seats. Well, the dog's fine but where do I put the kids?

If I had left it alone, it would have been perfect. So now, I have a truck that is more than capable in standard form, can carry people and gear and gives me something to do as well. :D

Chris

i bought my 95 intending to use it strictly as a work verchle but have just sold my audi estate as the toyota is so versitile - stock spec. has a lot going for it

After seeing the pics of Great White, my youngest son has suggested a new name.....

Snow White :twisted:

Back