Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

GRJ78 Troopy to Overland ready home

The last (hopefully) box arrives from Oz, the ‘ensuite’ shower cube. So brackets on and mounted up. It had to be modified a little as it was too long for the post service, but it works just fine still and you’d not really know it had been shortened by about 60mm
IMG_4016.jpeg

IMG_4018.jpeg

I’ll probably make a roof piece for it but otherwise it’s good to go.

And yes I could have bought one here but the cheapest I could find was £250, this was £50!

Yep… exactly why… when you turn off the shower you don’t want the water still running while you dry and dress…

Finally I managed to get sensible info on a winch to be sure I could make it fit… so the rear winch is in. Used 70mm2 cable (485A) to make the runs from the front OE battery to the rear. (max A for the winch is 310A but considering the distance/resistance). I managed to get one length inside the frame rail all the way but no way was I getting the second one inside so I had to route it the best I could to avoid the exhaust which crosses the frame several times and is very close to it for much of the length.

Solenoid pack removed from the winch and mounted in the rear quarter. Controller socket in the back panel (I have a wireless remote too).

The unit was a very snug fit, I had to clock the freespool and then cut a hole in the bumper to accommodate it.

Anyhow it’s in. Now I have a sensible means of self recovery and possibly a way to open the roof the first foot which is a 60kg dead lift!

IMG_4173.jpeg

I only had enough terminal boots in my box for the solenoid pack but more on order for the motor end.

IMG_4171.jpeg

IMG_4179.jpeg

The Blue Sea Isolator under the hood works both front and rear winches (either/or not both together).
IMG_4182.jpeg

Well having been caught out on the Wales trip I’ve installed a CB….
IMG_4204.jpeg

Had intended to put the main unit up to the side of the shelf above the visors but it was easier with the Mic here, though I do have an extension (but not to hand) so I might end up moving it if it gets too mucky down here.
IMG_4207.jpeg

IMG_4209.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Stunning. I have also refitted the sirio antenna to hope I get better performance

Very nice fit on the panel, can I ask what brand and wattage it is?

The front panel is a 100W flexible from Renogy. The rear one is 170W from Firefly (Amazon) Eco-Worthy do one the same size.

Both are mounted using aluminium angle to the roof rails (the flexible is mounted with an air gap, not glued down)

Sizes that fitted my space and max of 290W input to the MPPT controller (Victron)

I'm running a 150w panel on my Sprinter and it keeps up with demand even in the UK from April through to October, so 270w should be absolutely fine for most travels.

Oh and I re-rigged the rear winch rope. Removed the thimble and spliced to incorporate a soft shackle end as a part of the rope with a short and long loop option.
IMG_4241.jpeg

IMG_4244.jpeg

IMG_4245.jpeg

I had to remove the bench seats so I could get to the panel to remove that to get to the fog light loom… so whilst it was apart I’ve added sound deadening mat and then closed cell foam insulation.View attachment 324077

View attachment 324078

View attachment 324079View attachment 324080
Hello Gr8yota,
(I’m now on a HDJ78 (1hdtfe) just to keep you updated ;-))
My question is about sound deadening. Are you happy with your product? Does it also play a role for heat and cold insulation?
Which brand is it?
Lots of question sorry☺️

Hi @Pachyderme80 yes the sound deadening is fine. I just bought the cheapest good quality one I could find as they’re all pretty much the same I had ‘Mute Mat’. It makes a big difference to the car and I’m sure it does add some insulation too but I also used a self adhesive closed cell foam on top in the panels and a roll of loose under the floor There wasn’t room to use flock type like the vans since I have used the internal panel space for electrics and other fit-out components

Last edited:
Hi @Pachyderme80 yes the sound deadening is fine. I just bought the cheapest I could find as they’re all pretty much the same I had ‘Mute Mat’. It makes a big difference to the car and I’m sure it does add some insulation too but I also used a self adhesive closed cell foam on top in the panels and a roll of loose under the floor There wasn’t room to use flock type like the vans since I have used the internal panel space for electrics and other dit out components
Great to hearing that! I’m actually close to buy a 1hz with a lot of Km but I’ll make an engine swap with a 1hdtfe (but with mechanical pump).
I’m sure I will bother you a bit for advices in a near future if I can finalize this purchase.
Thanks in advance

By the way, I didn’t get any notifications from your message…sorry for my delay.

Hi @Pachyderme80 yes the sound deadening is fine. I just bought the cheapest I could find as they’re all pretty much the same I had ‘Mute Mat’. It makes a big difference to the car and I’m sure it does add some insulation too but I also used a self adhesive closed cell foam on top in the panels and a roll of loose under the floor There wasn’t room to use flock type like the vans since I have used the internal panel space for electrics and other dit out components
By the way, do you have an instagram or Facebook account where I can follow your build and adventures?
Cheers

Back