Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gturbo options for 1HD-T

sam89

Country Flag
australia
Gday all,

Looking for anyone with experience in running either the grunter extreme or bad boy turbos on their 1hd-t.
Im currently in process of converting my old 1hz 105 to a 1hd-t and am keeping alot of bolt ons as it already has a radius fab custom ls1 airbox and hpd fmic and a Gturbo Bad boy extreme. I am just trying to decide which turbo to downsize to between grunter extreme or bad boy and wanna see what others experiences are.
I am not planning on running anymore than 14psi for quite some time as it is a fully reco 1hd-t and the engine builder has requested the boost stay below this during run in phase. However once run in i would like to tune to around the 200hp mark and run a safe afr.
From what ive read online the grunter seems like a good option as it can operate between 14-28psi which is were id be looking sitting or a badboy which can operate anywhere between 20-35psi which is great also. So anyone with experience with either turbo id like to hear your opinions on these.
I dont have any experience with the 1hd-t and how it handles high boost i am looking for that happy medium between good power and reliability but dont wanna be underwhelmed if i go the smaller of the turbos.
Not planning on running any other brand as i have been extremely happy with Gturbo in the past and am only looking at downsizing due to the bbx being to large for the reco motor and i am not chasing the sort of power those things are capable of.

Mind you i dont tow, my car is for mainly 4x4ing alot of mud and hill climbs and the occasional beach drive and camping trips.

Cheers sam

Gday all,

Looking for anyone with experience in running either the grunter extreme or bad boy turbos on their 1hd-t.
Im currently in process of converting my old 1hz 105 to a 1hd-t and am keeping alot of bolt ons as it already has a radius fab custom ls1 airbox and hpd fmic and a Gturbo Bad boy extreme. I am just trying to decide which turbo to downsize to between grunter extreme or bad boy and wanna see what others experiences are.
I am not planning on running anymore than 14psi for quite some time as it is a fully reco 1hd-t and the engine builder has requested the boost stay below this during run in phase. However once run in i would like to tune to around the 200hp mark and run a safe afr.
From what ive read online the grunter seems like a good option as it can operate between 14-28psi which is were id be looking sitting or a badboy which can operate anywhere between 20-35psi which is great also. So anyone with experience with either turbo id like to hear your opinions on these.
I dont have any experience with the 1hd-t and how it handles high boost i am looking for that happy medium between good power and reliability but dont wanna be underwhelmed if i go the smaller of the turbos.
Not planning on running any other brand as i have been extremely happy with Gturbo in the past and am only looking at downsizing due to the bbx being to large for the reco motor and i am not chasing the sort of power those things are capable of.

Mind you i dont tow, my car is for mainly 4x4ing alot of mud and hill climbs and the occasional beach drive and camping trips.

Cheers sam
I would be looking at a Garret turbo if I was you mine did 600,000 before it got rebuilt it was still in good order even then.

I do like the garret turbos and have no doubt they are of high quality. I am only looking for experiences with either the grunter extreme or badboy at the moment though. My badboy extreme currently also has over 480,000km and still going strong. Gturbo also offer a 40% exchange for your old gturbo turbo which is another reason why ill be going back to them as ill be getting a $2200 turbo approx for almost half price and wont require any further modification to fit it up

Can work out how to upload photos here but i put a few pics of the new turbo in my media. Will post some updates once the motor is built on performance.

Awesome.
Can't wait to get one of these or a wink for my 80.

The 1hd t is a great engine.
I've never quite got the 1hz tbh. Everyone who has one seems to want to put a turbo on it..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back