Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Handbrake Handle issue

WoolyFox

Country Flag
england
Haven't been able to find an answer on the internet so decided here would be the best place for me to start.

I bought a 139,000 miles Land Cruiser 100 series on Monday with known issues (some small and easily fixed, others not so much) but today has a new one involving the handbrake handle. I pulled in as usual to park and pulled up the handle and it pretty much went all the way up to a 90 degree angle, the light came on but putting the car into drive it was still able to roll forward. It has been working fine all week though did feel like it needed adjusting when I bought it.

I was wondering whether I will need to take out the centre console to reattach whatever broke, I guess the cable has come out of the adjuster under the gaiter? Has anyone here experienced something similar to this?

I look forward to hearing any guidance or advice for fixing this otherwise I'll have to resort to the garage.

Have a look, investigate to see what pulls. Crawl underneath and have a check around to see that everything is where it should be, then get someone to pull and release the handbrake if all seems to be in place. Post up some pictures of what you find. If it’s anything like the 80 series, the handbrake works a drum brake inside each rear brake disk. These need attention and adjustment periodically, there’s a thread about it on here with an excellent write up on how to set them up. Well within a novice’s capabilities and not expensive as no parts are usually needed.

I have a photo to show how I fixed it. The drum and cable were fine so it was time take apart the centre console. Following instructions from the Haynes manual and other forums we removed the front seats and centre console to find the issue was caused by bent bracket that holds the top of the handbrake cable, I hope you can see in the photo below.

With a precise hammer and flat head screwdriver blow, we were able to secure the top of the cable into the handle and it works perfectly again. I was also able to remove 19 years of rubbish and debris that had accumulated between the seats and centre console which was a bonus. Compared to the P38 it was a breeze to do. Thanks for the advice so far and I may need it again soon.

Nice simple problem and fix.
Do you have an ‘after’ pic to go with your ‘before’ pic? I wonder what caused it? Is it that the cable has become a bit sticky, left some slack, and undone itself from the handle?

Precision hammer eh? Left over from P38 ownership perhaps?

The thing is the handbrake only need to work for the MOT as with a Auto just use "P" (Park) and as for putting the hand brake on in drive you might find it will still creep, I just use the foot brake

Back