Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Happy Valley - August 29th

Maybe Matt will comment on that second lane for you rather than relying on just my warped sense of what's ok :mrgreen: I think it's a nice climb up an almost hidden ancient holloway on a good rock surface but being a narrow holloway it's not a great place for roof tents or racks unless they're very low profile. I had my Foxwing strapped to the roof which isn't exactly low profile but i've been along that lane many times so I know what to expect and could keep rubbing of the foxwing to a minimum. The main problem IMO is that if you get hooked up it can be hard for you or anyone else to get out and sort it out ... There is an easy bypass for those that can't / don't want to drive it and there are plenty of other interesting bits further along the route.

That lane was very enjoyable but I think you will get light pin stiping.

Are you sending them into "Dark Wood" Jon? :mrgreen:

24Seven said:
Are you sending them into "Dark Wood" Jon? :mrgreen:
:lol: No I took Dark Wood off the route. I need to dig out some of my old gps logs and check it really was that track, my memory is hopeless sometimes and I often get easy tracks mixed up with harder tracks :mrgreen:

Jon Wildsmith said:
24Seven said:
often get easy tracks mixed up with harder tracks :mrgreen:

Think I'll double check this tracks on street view.... :think:

If we all get stuck, Ian can come with his new winch and test it out :D (Hurry with getting the new winch Ian)

See you all nice and early tomorrow...... : :drool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well yesterday was a bunch of fun!!! Some really good lanes, some mocking of idiotic farm hands and general all round fun. Thanks chaps!

Couple of highlights where when we took a wrong route only to be cut off by some smug farm hands in a SWB defender on MTs. When the driver told me where the lane was, he looked at me, my 120 and my AT2s and scoffed [que stupid welsh / Cornish accent] "You'll never make it up that that with 'em things"
I said there's no harm in trying...

They went to the edge of the lane to watch us go up. I am pretty certain I have driven up worse driveways. When I arrived at the viewing point I wound down the window and asked why they said it was difficult. There was some back-peddling. I enquired if it was perhaps their vehicle that made it difficult. Point made, I put it back into gear and tiptoed away. I recall seeing ATRAC kick in twice to stop some wheel spin. I made it out followed closely by Dave's Shogun on road tyres. No on struggled up it.
Twits. Go back to chatting up sheep....

The second lane was perhaps the best. Very long, nice scenery and some nice difficult bits. At one point, there was a lovely step which I was convinced I would not get up. There were some "Ummms", and "ahhh" from a couple others but I thought, Hell, why not. Again, the 120 picked it's way up without a hassle. Really impressed. Pics to follow. Wait, no one took pictures of me :(
After a bit to eat up there and seeing a few other LCs trundling by, we continued on.

After a particulaly rough bit of lane, someone spotted some LRs heading towards us. When we did meet, they had all taken refuge in the undergrowth and cleared the way.

Due to time, we skipped out the second long lane and headed for StrataFlorida. Again, some nice lanes and nice water crossings. Not really as deep as we expected considering the recent rain but still fun.
After watching Tommo and Lill' Blue going down the bomb hole, I thought it was something I had to try. A scary experience for the first time! I was amazed how a vehicle can hold itself on the brakes at an angle like that.Very impressed. With some carefull talking from Erik, I was clear. Got a few nasty scartches on the rear bumper though but as Erik said, it's not new enough to warrent a new one. Bummer. :|

After some playing around in the water and Tony being a child in Lill' Blue (where there is water, you'll find Tony heading for it), we headed out. It was dark before we left the last gate...

All in all, a great day!!!
Thanks to all who made it and thanks Jon for the overlay.

Busy sorting out the pics now, uploading when I can.

How long does it take to sort out photos then :?: You posted that over six minutes ago :D ;)

Come on come on some of us have had to spend the weekend putting up blackout blinds & painting & we need our fix :p

Right, here you go...

The obligatory show of the Welsh country side:
IMG_1769.jpg

Random shot:
IMG_1775.jpg

Dave, my mate in the Shogun contemplating the rocks:
IMG_1785.jpg

Lunch:
{admin(jw) removed ;) }

Landrovers hiding away / broken down uphill:
{admin(jw) removed ;) }

Others from the club. They were all Dutch.
{admin(jw) removed ;) }

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

{admin(jw) removed ;) }

My brown pants moment:
IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

Tony having fun:
{admin(jw) removed ;) }
{admin(jw) removed ;) }

Heading home:
IMG_1864.jpg

Apoplogies for the rubbish pics. I my real camera is broken....

What a great day of fun that was. Thanks to all who organised this.

Not much to add to what Crispin said, so here are some pic.

Atmospheric start:

987870094_TNXZp-L.jpg

First lane, where the farmer boys were being all smug:
987870400_p6XVb-L.jpg

Lil'Blue in it's natural playground:
987870932_BotEn-L.jpg

Winding along:
987872466_5Ke2M-L.jpg

80 making it look easy:
{admin(jw) removed ;) }

100 Series making it look impressive:
{admin(jw) removed ;) }

120 Making a splash:
987876800_T4agW-L.jpg

Oh how I wish I had been there, but it's a long way from the smoke :cry:
Chas

Well I'm going to be a party pooper and point out that some of the off track playing you did is a big part of what gets lanes shut. I know it's tempting especially when you can see tracks from those that have played before you but you're not doing us any favours :evil:

Well that made everyone go quiet. I'm glad you had a good day just maybe next time think twice about the little detours that's all I'm suggesting ;)

I presume the off-piste pics were the 2nd-to-last and 3rd-to-last pics on Tony's post?
The bombhole (shown before the pics I'm referring to) is part of the main track, right?

The bomb hole is is the right of way and the detour around it is now considered by most to be a reasonable detour. The off-piste pics are in both sets of photos. I can tell you the exact ones but that's not really why I've decided to be Mr Unpopular, I don't want to name or shame an individual, just ask everyone to think twice next time as that wasn't a boring route I did staying on the RoW ;)

I have to agree with Jon, I have sent pictures like that to the police before. I will not this time, but I would do again.

If your not sure where your ment to drive, then do not drive there or ask someone who knows where you can drive.

We (and others) spend a lot of time trying to keep ROW open for people to keep using. Driving where you not meant to WILL get lanes closed.

Paul

It would also be a good thing for a Mod or admin to remove the pictures.

Paul

Got back from Wales today. We spent the night in Wales and did some sightseeing today then took a leisurely drive back.

A BIG thank you to Crispin for leading the way and to everyone who helped with the routes. :clap:

The lanes were fantastic. Simone & I had a great time :D

Some random pics:
IMG_9130.JPG

IMG_9098.JPG

IMG_9045.JPG

IMG_9082.JPG

IMG_9094.JPG

IMG_9133.JPG

IMG_9142.JPG

IMG_9274.JPG

IMG_9282.JPG

IMG_9264.JPG

IMG_9146.JPG

IMG_9288.JPG

IMG_9075.JPG

IMG_9227.JPG

{admin edit (jw) removed ;)

{admin: edit}

Just to point out, last saturday there was police going up and down Strada. If the people in the pictures had done the same and the police had seen them. Then their LC could have beed taken away and CRUSHED. Yes it does happen.

Also it seems like it is the same 2 LCs that seem to be doing all of the driving off of the line of the ROW.

Paul

Back