Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hard cornering freaked me right out!

I read somewhere long ago the Red Arrows top dog pissed off that his new fangled fighter jet couldn't do the stunts he wanted to do so he pulled fuses and did them anyway :music-rockout:

Hi Dave, Running a new set of BFG AT's on standard rims. I have standard height uprated springs all round with new Bilsteins . Complete new s/rack and bottom arms with new bushes. I'll have a look at the printout latter on.
Shayne, rear end should be ok all bushes look good and I replaced the two link bars towards the centre of the diff with new genuine ones.
Like Karl says I don't think I can turn the traction control off, might be worth pulling the fuse.
I'll have to test it out tomorrow on the way to work to see if it makes me cac my pants in the morning.

Bones - gimme a shout if its still misbehaving - we'll take you out in the 80 series and do a back-to-back. They should handle in a very similar manner. Personally I'd be looking to prove if its mechanical or electronic, as a starting point, else you risk chasing entirely the wrong issues....

I'd expect no comparison between those two , entirely different vehicles to drive .

2 tonne plus trucks with basic body-on-chassis construction - I'd expect the 120 to be at least similar in handling characteristics to the 80 (if not better)? Or am I being dim?

Its lorry v car mate , once i drove a 120 and it took me 10 minutes to decide i would never own one .

The 80 is a heavy and planted lumbering beast , the 90 is light quick and nimble . Both won me over with character but the 120 is a nice place to be which just doesn't float my boat at all .

No way should it get skitty at 35mph on tarmac though because it is a very capable 4x4 by any standards .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
But in this case the test should probably be ok - if the 80 goes around the corner without losing it at X mph, the 120 definitely should?

To be fair You would be surprised how well an 80 can corner... I was giving it some on the country lanes coming back from Rye, Even the missus commented how well it goes, and sticks to the road.... "Like it's on Rails".. She say's... :wtf: .....But Yes the 120 should be Better, You'd have thought! :confusion-shrug:

Weight distribution , the 80 has a heavy keel and low narrow roof , the 120 a light keel and a high wide roof .

Could be simply a case of learning to adjust , a BMW is never expected to leave tarmac so should handle far better than an all terrain truck that can go anywhere .

New BFGs you say, has the releasing agent been scrubbed off yet, you won't get full grip for up to 2000 miles on the sort of sizes we're on.

Assuming they are bedded in/scrubbed off then something is wrong, my 70 series designed in the dark ages with BFGs could be hurled about with gay abandon, my mate and i used to have a bit of play on the way home from night runs back in the day, he had a BMW318 and on the roundabouts couldn't leave me.

120 is a very stable motor considering its high CoG and a live rear axle.

Thanks for the offer Dave I'll have to see how it goes, it seamed to get around this morning without freaking out at about 45. Perhaps getting the camber and tracking done helped but time will tell. It's hard to chuck it in to that corner with cars behind me.
Juddian I have never had and problems with tyres reacting weirdly when new and would have thought the releasing agent would have warn off within no time at all, can't imagen bike riders would be doing lots of miles and not crashing.

Bones, some tyres take no time at all to bed in but many do.
I've only ever had 2 sets of tyres on my own vehicles in some 48 years of driving that were 100% from the start. Vredestein Wintrac Extreme on a Hilux and the current Yokohama GO15s on my 120, coincidentally both snowflake stamped one winter rated one rated all season, as are the BFG AT's if my memory serves.

Everything lese fitted new has given to a greater or lesser degree that 'light' feeling to the steering, that you get from damp salty roads, until enough mileage has been completed to bed them in.
Bedding in is the term used, but maybe scrubbing off is a more accurate description...note i have no doubt this can have an effect on tyre tests, presumably the testers take this into account or maybe they get the treads buffed on brand new rubber, i don't know but would be interested to know.

As a rule don't expect the best from car tyres for 1000 miles, circa 2000 for the sorts of tyres on our Cruisers.

For lorry tyres reckon on 5000 miles.
Yes seriously, for my sins i drove car transporters for 20 years, the later vehicles are an inherantly unstable design, look like an artic but handle nothing like one, when youj either collected a new truck or had a new set of (drive axle in particular) tyres fitted, the first few days especially were nothing short of terrifying, it felt like even on dead straight roads that the prime mover (tractor unit) was gong to go into an oversteer, many times worse on bends.
My mate described it perfectly one day, like trying to drive a plate of spagetti, never heard a more accurate description.
By the end of the first month, which usually equated to 5000 miles or so they would settle down.

See what its like after a while, in the meantime you've obviously checked tyre pressures?
Running mine at 30 psi during winter which i raise to 35 or so during the warmer weather.

Motorcycle tyres i have no doubt are either buffed up or maybe use a differernt technique at production for obvious reasons.

I don't suppose you know Jonjoe because he used to own one ?

Sorry Shayne, was that me you were asking?

Last edited:
Juddian, I have lost count of how many sets of M/T and A/t's I have fitted over the years and never had any issues in regards to loss of traction when the tyres are new. I am not a slow driver by any means and generally don't hang about, the only time I have real loss of traction is when I am out in the Ute and there is 670 horse saying put your foot down I dare you. In regards to the 120 I don't think it is a tyre problem.

Shayne if you are talking to me know I don't know him but know of him (Skillen)?

That might not be good lol , hes my little brother

Like I say I don't know him but have heard of him, small Island you know how it is. Can't say good or bad just heard the name as there aren't that many people called that. So relax...

Its a been long time since i needed to worry about him :lol: was just thinking he would take it for a spin if you asked him when he wasn't busy .

Back