Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Harris - Outer Hebrides Trip - August 2016

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
i forgot to post some photos from a family trip to Harris, one of Scotland's Outer Hebrides
A 2 hour ferry trip from mainland.

My wife and I joined my 4 brothers, dad and nephew for a long weekend.
We crossed the Isle of Skye and caught the afternoon ferry from Uig to Tarbert, after sampling some isle of Skye brewery produce at the bar by the ferry terminal

We spent the time of Harris camping, sea fishing from my brothers RIB and our sea kayaks, loch fishing, shooting, hiking and lots of chilling in camp, BBQ and beer with fresh fish

We had one bad attack by midges on the Sunday morning, some great weather apart from last morning.

Jet was great at retrieving bunnies, we used a .22 airgun, and I regretted not taking my .22 rim Fire becuase the machar was hoaching with rabbits

We returned via Lewis and Stornaway to Ullapool ferry, visiting Callanish stone circle on the way

A great place to spend some time

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks a great trip! Fab time fishing and shooting :) Nice one. Not sure about all those midges though!

That was serious midge protection, almost like a bee keeper :shock:

Looks fantastic Andy, thanks for posting. Again, stunning scenery.

Stunning scenery and pics - looks like you all had a really good time.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You know, with the right weather, the Scottish islands are amongst the most beautiful places on earth. Just the weather and midges to spoil them And, there is an answer to the midges. It need the Scottish Tourist Board to deploy those midge magnet machines in a strategic programme and in a season you'd be virtually free of them. It might sound like an epic undertaking but they are so effective and used in number you can clear large areas. Somewhere like an island would be very effectively cleared in a short time and for a long time too.

So, just the weather then ...

You know, with the right weather, the Scottish islands are amongst the most beautiful places on earth. Just the weather and midges to spoil them And, there is an answer to the midges. It need the Scottish Tourist Board to deploy those midge magnet machines in a strategic programme and in a season you'd be virtually free of them. It might sound like an epic undertaking but they are so effective and used in number you can clear large areas. Somewhere like an island would be very effectively cleared in a short time and for a long time too.

So, just the weather then ...

You are spot on there Chris
The midges drive me up the wall, I broke our rule of only camping outside of June-August, for this trip because two of my brothers are teachers....
The weather was fine though apart from last morning

The beaches out there are amazing, and deserted

Sitting by the campfire on the beach, Watching sunset with my dad and brothers and Mrs , dram in had was fabulous

How much is a ferry across with a vehicle Andy, typically.

C

I haven’t been up for ages, but my wife’s from near Ben Nevis and her sister lives on South Uist, so she goes up from time to time. CalMac used to do a sort of ferry season ticket, but it looks like they have a new fare structure now.
https://www.calmac.co.uk/ret/about

How much is a ferry across with a vehicle Andy, typically.

C

Uig (Skye) to Harris return fare for hilux and 2 people would be £84 return

Stornaway-Ullapool return is £136

We went out by Uig and back to Ullapool because timetable worked out better for us, catching a 7am ferry from Tarbert on return wasn't doable with an hour drive and packing up a tipi !

Meanwhile crossing to The Emerald Ilse tomorrow is setting us back £270 return for similar crossing distance :(

Back