Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Has anyone used the Garmin Overlander in the UK/Europe??

Hi

I had 1, didn't like it, found the interface slow and cluky. Thought it was over priced for what it can do.

I use a tablet,and Gaia GPS, have been using it for 2 years now and really like it. I find it really useful to be able to switch to google maps and other apps quickly.

Regards
Gary

Thanks!
Which tablet? And have you been travelling Europe?
It does seem expensive for what it does (a decent Android tablet is £150), and considering most of Europe is within cell signal, am not sure it's worth the cost... so wondering out loud!

HI

I have 2 android talets. Samsung Tab S7+ Wi-Fi, I also use this as my everyday goto. Blackview Tablet, this is my day to day Sat Nav when in the uk, I got is as a backup to the Samsung.

I have done the the following using the above.

Pyreness and Portugal for 2 months, 80% of this trip was off roading.

Iceland and the Fareo Islands for 2 Months.

Scotland for 3 months.

G.

Cool, thanks - do you mount using a RAM mount?
Any pictures you can share?
Do you use a wifi dongle, get a data SIM for the wifi / data, or do you get a tablet which has a SIM card capability and just put one in, or do you just tether to your mobile phone?

Last edited:
I’d agree on not going with a stand alone GPS system these days. I’ve used these for many years, Magellan then Garmin but the tech on a smartphone/tablet is far superior these days.

I use an iPad mini, Ram mount and for road mapping Sygic as it is off line and very good ( I’ve used it in UK and across Europe) but also very well priced. For off road it depends where I am what mapping I use.
A06E281D-283F-469E-9DC0-FE291DD58CE5.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
hi

excuse the 360 pic, its all I have of the Hilux. I don't have the TomTom and Garmin anymore. Just use the tablet. I use a Wifi sim access port and put a local sim card in it.

G.

20220918_182855_184.jpg
20220918_183022_439.jpg
20220918_184102_757.jpg
IMG_0303.JPG

In terms of Garmin Devices, the overlander is superceded by the Garmin Tread, which is lovely if hugely expensive...

Hi

That what was my issue witht he Garmin Overlander, the cost is so high for what you get. For a little more I can get a high quality screen tablet, which was 10x faster to use and lots of App. I couldn't see any benifits over a tablet.

G.

I'd be interested to know if the tread has the goople app store installed? My issue with the overlander I had was not being able to load all the other apps I wanted to use, because some of them rely on the app store services. I like the magnetic mount and mild ruggedness, but the software was weak imo.

I'm very reliant on Google maps. When ever I see a place that looks interesting, I'll mark it on Google maps. My off roading map go to is Gaia GPS

G.

One thing to keep in mind is the GPS receiver itself. Not many tablets are going to get you multi provider support, and be able to get you a good enough position.

Not saying the Garmin does it either, but it's something to keep in mind. Depending on where you are going - may want to consider options.

wow the Tread is expensive! Plus maps on top.

The iPad has a built in GPS but only on cellular versions. Never had an issue with it connecting.

I picked up a 2nd hand Bad Elf gps receiver a couple of years ago, it's the lightning type that plugs into an iphone or ipad, I think that it may be discontinued now, replaced by a bluetooth version, but it's quick to lock on and pretty accurate.

Back