Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HDJ 80 lak off power @ 2000 rpm

Torben Larsen

Country Flag
denmark
Sometimes when i haul my trailer the engine stalls at 2000 rpm ??
last time it was air bubbels in the fuel line from the filter
anny other ideas ??

Hi Torben, you might get a few more responses if you pop over and introduce yourself in the 'introduce yourself' section. Say Hi, that sort of thing. Meanwhile the guys on here will have a think about your problem and get back to you. Welcome to the forum BTW.

Oh, and post up a bit more about your truck, petrol or diesel for instance would be helpful here.

Don't worry, we're a friendly bunch round here.

Richard

Hi Torben, you might get a few more responses if you pop over and introduce yourself in the 'introduce yourself' section. Say Hi, that sort of thing. Meanwhile the guys on here will have a think about your problem and get back to you. Welcome to the forum BTW.

Oh, and post up a bit more about your truck, petrol or diesel for instance would be helpful here.

Richard
Hey Ricard
sure about the introduce yourself thing but curenty i'm in Croatia on hollyday when the problem broke loose on my way throug the Alps with my camper on the hook.
About the HDJ80 = Diesel
nice site by the way
thank you
Torben

Richard
Hey agin
better info now
best regarts

Hi Torben,

Understood and sorry for your interrupted holiday. And for missing the D in the HDJ in the title. My bad.

There's plenty of reasons this can happen, some of which are below though there's guys on here with far more experience than I. Meanwhile have a search on here and a look around under the bonnet.

Loose fuel filter
Clogged or partially clogged fuel filter
Clogged or partially clogged tank filter
Blocked fuel tank breather
Holes in fuel lines (usually difficult to start without priming)
Hole in primer diaphragm
Leaking ACSD (auto cold start device)
Clogged or partially clogged filters within pump.
Badly Blocked air filter.
Auto box not changing down
Overheating
Burned contacts in fuse box
Loose fuses or relays
Loose connections,
Wrong fuel
Batteries not charging
Short in trailer connections (usually results in blown fuse)
Etc, etc,

So, how does the engine die? Is it sudden stop or does it get weaker and weaker until it stops? Have you tried changing down at all? What was the effect? Has the truck been run on bio diesel?

I must say it sounds fuel related, but we haven't got much to go on.

If you can get hold of some clear fuel hose you could insert a piece between the fuel filter and the pump to see if you are getting bubbles again.

Check around all your electrics, especially the box under the bonnet. Pull and replace fuses, check everything is located correctly.

Is it charging?

Wishing you luck with it.

Richard

Hard to imagine we have a membership of thousands, yet Rich is the only one to respond.

In ddefense, Rich is correct with his list of maybe's and it's probably only one of them that's causing the problem.

Not enough info I'm afraid, although being on holiday doesn't help with communications. After 2000 revs, does it clear and pull ok, or does it just die?

Quick diagnoses are difficult, you could drive it without the air filter for a few hundred meters just to see if it makes a difference, or pull the fuel line off temporarily to check that it's running free, listen to the filler cap when loosening it to hear for a rush of air (symptom of a blocked tank breather). These are simple things to do to narrow the field.

Sorry, more info needed.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My immediate thought was that it was actually a flat spot rather than being directly an issue with fuel supply. I get a flat spot at 1400 rpm. I sometimes hover around that range when in traffic and it's like the engine has died. Still catches me two years on. It goes totally flat. It's a very very narrow band but if you hit it just right (wrong) then it has you reaching for the hazard lights before the brain kicks in.

My first thought was that perhaps the turbo was not providing enough enough boost, but then again not enough info about what exactly is happening at 2000 rpm, he says stalls, does op mean gutless and lost power at 2000 rpm when he says stalls or is it cutting out and needing restarting?
Can it be revved above 2000 rpm with out a load on the engine, ie when stationary?
Stalling usually occurs when moving off from a standstill and the engine has not been given enough fuel as the clutch was released.
could be any one of the simple things mentioned above or something we have all missed.
Waiting on more info on this fault if only because I have a similar vehicle.

I Think is A fuel isue
the tank breater migth be blockt due to the sound when opening the lid
the engine do'snot die it "just" looses power after A downshift it migth comeback back i Think that is air km the fuel

There's a pipe from your turbo to your fuel pump , when the turbo starts to boost it uses pressure to push a diaphragm which enables the pump to increase fuel (only on boost)

I reckon you have a leak in either the pipe or the diaphragm which is delaying this action and so starving the engine of fuel .

There's a pipe from your turbo to your fuel pump , when the turbo starts to boost it uses pressure to push a diaphragm which enables the pump to increase fuel (only on boost)

I reckon you have a leak in either the pipe or the diaphragm which is delaying this action and so starving the engine of fuel .

That is actualy what i'm looking at rigth nie thinking about bypassimg it straith from the turbo and to the diaphram

I Think is A fuel isue
the tank breater migth be blockt due to the sound when opening the lid
the engine do'snot die it "just" looses power after A downshift it migth comeback back i Think that is air km the fuel

This is very possible, because there should be no sound of air whatsoever, when you release the fuel cap. This is a sign of a vacuum in the tank which will progressively restrict fuel flow to the pump. After releasing the vacuum (loosening the cap) does the truck perform OK then go back to the loss of power over time?

If yes, then I would spend money on a new cap or get one second hand. In the meantime on holiday. you could get one of those temporary fuel filler caps that most service stations sell.

This is very possible, because there should be no sound of air whatsoever, when you release the fuel cap. This is a sign of a vacuum in the tank which will progressively restrict fuel flow to the pump. After releasing the vacuum (loosening the cap) does the truck perform OK then go back to the loss of power over time?

This is interesting because I have for a long time had hissing when I open the fuel cap but no dieing or stalling. Noticed it yesterday when I filled up.

This is interesting because I have for a long time had hissing when I open the fuel cap but no dieing or stalling. Noticed it yesterday when I filled up.

It's logical though Rich, as the fuel goes out of the tank air has to get in, otherwise the tank would implode, or you'd create a vacuum, or the pump would give up trying to get fuel out.

If the last one .... phut... phut... phut...

Totally agree there Clive. The only thing I can think is that it gets to a point and then let's air in. It's another thing to explore. I'll have to do a search for where the breather is located.

Totally agree there Clive. The only thing I can think is that it gets to a point and then let's air in. It's another thing to explore. I'll have to do a search for where the breather is located.

There is one in the cap and one underneath just over the rear axel with one horse going into a frame x-member

I know this is an old thread, but was the issue ever resolved?
I’m having the same problem.
I’ve got a 1hdft, 5speed. Truck was driving fine all day then just decided it wouldn’t rev above 2k.
I was thinking maybe it was my turbo, or somewhere else in the fuel system, obviously. but I’m not sure. I’ll check the fuel cap and see if I can hear anything.
Here’s a video I grabbed as I limped home.

(Video isn’t loading)

Last edited:
It's very rare for the turbo to play up, barring the waste gate sticking they are as good as gold, a real turbo failure is clouds of smoke coming from the exhaust.

I would be checking for air getting into the fuel pump first, and there is some else. In the fuel tank there is a plastic mesh filter, it is on the end of the fuel pick up, it can get blocked reducing fuel flow when under load.

Regards

Dave

Back