Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hdj79r uk import help

Adamwag

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all, a few month ago my MY04 hdj79r arrived in the uk imported from aus, just getting round to getting it registered and just wanted to know from anyone who also has done the same, was it relatively straight forward to register? Got my V55/5 arrive in the post this week, do i need also a CoC or IVA for it or not seeing as its over 10 years old? And what tax bracket and emissions specs is it? Any help or tips would be appreciated, Cheers in advance!

Hi all, a few month ago my MY04 hdj79r arrived in the uk imported from aus, just getting round to getting it registered and just wanted to know from anyone who also has done the same, was it relatively straight forward to register? Got my V55/5 arrive in the post this week, do i need also a CoC or IVA for it or not seeing as its over 10 years old? And what tax bracket and emissions specs is it? Any help or tips would be appreciated, Cheers in advance!
You need to get an MOT (not an IVA) for it (will probably need a fog light) which they can do on the VIN. Some garages find this difficult but if they follow the questions that the computer asks it is possible. Obviously insurance, which can be expensive and also difficult as it won't have a Reg. Number yet. As for tax, it falls into the same class as all imports which is £250 plus £55 first registration.

If you Google how to register an import in the UK, most of the information is there. Filling in the form, you only need to put the basic stuff, not all the questions.

For european imports you need MOT, NOVA declaration (proof theres no tax due to HMRC) and registration document from country of origin (or a letter from the manufacturer stating the date of manufacture/first registration).

For registration in mainland UK you don't need proof of insurance. Neither do you need a certificate of conformity (vehicles over 10 years old are exempt).

I don't know about imports from outside the EU.

To drive your truck in the UK you must have insurance which can be done easily (not cheaply) on the chassis number. You don't need an MOT as you are allowed to drive to and from the test centre with insurance only.

When you get it MOTd the test centre will enter the registration of the country of origin and the chassis number. Check they entered the chassis number correctly before you leave the MOT testing station. They've been known to get it wrong and it can cause a nightmare down the line.

PM'd you some insurance info.

Last edited:
Sorry I cannot help, when I imported my Troopy I used an agent but good luck with the process.

You need to get an MOT (not an IVA) for it (will probably need a fog light) which they can do on the VIN. Some garages find this difficult but if they follow the questions that the computer asks it is possible. Obviously insurance, which can be expensive and also difficult as it won't have a Reg. Number yet. As for tax, it falls into the same class as all imports which is £250 plus £55 first registration.

If you Google how to register an import in the UK, most of the information is there. Filling in the form, you only need to put the basic stuff, not all the questions.
For european imports you need MOT, NOVA declaration (proof theres no tax due to HMRC) and registration document from country of origin (or a letter from the manufacturer stating the date of manufacture/first registration).

For registration in mainland UK you don't need proof of insurance. Neither do you need a certificate of conformity (vehicles over 10 years old are exempt).

I don't know about imports from outside the EU.

To drive your truck in the UK you must have insurance which can be done easily (not cheaply) on the chassis number. You don't need an MOT as you are allowed to drive to and from the test centre with insurance only.

When you get it MOTd the test centre will enter the registration of the country of origin and the chassis number. Check they entered the chassis number correctly before you leave the MOT testing station. They've been known to get it wrong and it can cause a nightmare down the line.

PM'd you some insurance info.

Thanks for the information guys,
got a bit of free time on my hands atm so gonna get on with this asap, installed my mph dialcard and installed a fog light today I have my NOVA letter at the ready and will get the mot sorted out by the end of the week hopefully. I have a registration certificate that shows my ownership of it during my time owning it in Australia should that be sufficient?

So once i'm ready to send off my form to the dvla, alongside my mot cert, nova letter, and Australian registration cert is there anything else I need to send off with all that?

cheers

Also regarding road tax is there any official documents anywhere that states 250 quid is the cost, as I cant find anywhere on the gov site, cheers!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Also regarding road tax is there any official documents anywhere that states 250 quid is the cost, as I cant find anywhere on the gov site, cheers!
It tells you the RFL cost on the paper work with the form also you will need your insurance certificate

In the first registration pack from the DVLA there should be a document detailing the road tax cost. I'll have a look see if I can dig one out.

As far as insurance goes the last import I did was a year ago so it might have changed but at the time you only need insurance to register the vehicle if you live in Northern Ireland. Mainland UK you dont need insurance.

You will need insurance however if you want to drive the vehicle to and from MOT.

Just read all the notes on the form carefully.

What they said ^^. I am pretty sure you need insurance to get a vehicle taxed.

You can actually ring up DVLA and ask them. I have found them very helpful in the past. Ask for the import registration department. Otherwise, they just send all your documents back and another 2 weeks is wasted. I don't know why they ask for email and telephone numbers as they seem unable to use them!

DSC-2487.jpg

Cheers for the info guys one last question, in regards to this form i know i don't have to fill in everything but what would be the bare essentials i need to put down for it to be acceptable anyone? Appreciate all the help, me and paperwork are not the best of friends! Could of used an agency like many others, and have them do it for me but i couldn't justify the prices!!

Should all be in the notes. If your vehicle is certificate of conformity exempt (over ten years old) you dont need to fill in most of the field

youll be surprised by how little information you need to put down.

Definitely need:

VIN
Fuel type
Engine number
Engine size in cc
Number of seats

I think you leave registration number blank. Check the notes.

Sorry I cannot help, when I imported my Troopy I used an agent but good luck with the process.
I used the agent recommended by Charlie £250 well spent if I remember correctly the price.

order of events that I was told and followed was
- get mot first (I used Reg plates and insurance from the garage where I bought it to get to the mot station and back home, then had to send plates back to the garage)
- the mot then allows you to register it in the uk. documents required were the mot and ownership form that I took over from Belgian owner. I think that was it. I did need to add a fog light and adjust headlight direction.
- after receiving the dvla registration then then agent got the road tax
- only once it was registered was I able to get insurance (from NFU in my case). No one would insure it before that.
So between MOT test and finally getting it insured it had to sit on my drive uninsured. So to be safe I boxed it in with another vehicle.
hope that helps. agent was really stress free and money well spent.

I've done it twice. It's easy. Just follow the notes and you shouldn't have a problem. You can also call DVLA up. They've always been pretty helpful.

Just thought i'd add a late update, it was about as easy as people said it would be and was still surprised by how little information you actually had to provide for the form. Didn't take too long for it to be approved and got my vc/5 and number plate early December. Got it Dinitrol rustproofed/undersealed too just last week so its good to go! Thanks for the help guys.

Sorry for asking again but, just to
clarify

You got a UK roadworthy, AKA MOT with that bullbar and fittings?

Sorry for asking again but, just to
clarify

You got a UK roadworthy, AKA MOT with that bullbar and fittings?
I got a mot on a ZA import with the same bumper as the one in the pic, won't be a problem if it has a winch fitted

Back