Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HDJ81 Electrical / Dome / Headlights

marcusvictorius

Country Flag
canada
Good day all,

I am in a pickle, and truly tired of trying to find a solution. Please help! :) Here's the problem.

1. In regards to subject mentioned - everything on my truck works except when I try to turn the headlights on, they do not come on, though all other lights do. Taillights, etc work well without a hitch.

2. Now, i found out that in order to turn my headlights out, I have to pull out the "dome" fuze from under the hood. Then the lights come on for good, but now, my radio, dome lights, etc that fuze is supposed to be powering on does not work obviously and I understand that.

3. In order to turn off my headlights, I have to reinsert the dome fuze into its slot. The headlights go off, and my dome lights come back on as per norm.

4. What can I do to find this fault, or if it is too much, how can i bypass this nonsense. So far, I have checked the relays, fuzes, steering dimmer switch and they all are functional.

Thank you!

On my 90 i had a short in the indicator stalk that switched off my headlights when i used a turn signals , just thought i would mention it as it might give you somewhere else to look .

Did you check the negative earth connection. If there is a bad connection with the body, some circuits will 'search' it's negative through other circuits and that wil give al sorts of funny stuff.
if you pull the dome fuse, do the headlights burn on full power?

Also check the relays (one Black one Brown) in the fuse box under the bonnet, seen some absolute nightmares under there with the holders melted into an unrecognisable mess.

regards

Dave

Back