Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlamp bulb replacement...

I want to replace my headlight bulbs and probably the inner driving type lamps as they've been in the car for ages now.

On the drivers side the coolant expansion tank sits right behind the access to the back of the lamp.... is this simply clipped on or is there a trick to removing it so i can take the bulb out...? Don't want to rip it it all apart...

And also wondered what thoughts peop[le had on a suitable bulb to light the way a little better without resorting to HID or heating the wiring harness???

Cheers and all the best for the New Year

Jeremy

PS Just seen the bulb thread from a while back so may try the Halfords Brilliance H4 bulbs...

just lift the tank out of the way, iv'e got nightbreakers in mine, not bad.

thanks...

the only reason I asked was my tank seems stuck fast but may just be a few years of gunk are stuck in there...

J

I have some Phillips 'Extreme' H4 bulbs in the outer headlamps and they are noticeably brighter (supposedly 80%) than the original 'standard' H4's I had in.

In case you do decide to fit HID's I had the chance to try a HID kit in the headlamps and would not recommend one as a replacement for the H4 bulbs. The beam was far too scattered. I found the inner headlamps much better however (H1 bulbs) so I fitted a kit to those and also to the auxilliary driving lamps. The kits are very reasonably priced these days and way brighter than even the most potent halogen/filament bulbs for less load on the OE wiring. JMO

joinerman said:
just lift the tank out of the way, iv'e got nightbreakers in mine, not bad.
x 2! The Nightbreakers are a marked improvement on whatever was in there before :thumbup: Haven't tried any other brands yet. Crispin mentioned that Nightbreakers didn't last too long in his 120 but that may be because of the harsh ride given by IFS :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Main lamps replaced but the inner lights not quite so simple. I thought they were H1 bulbs but not so... the bulbs in there are Japanese and have a two bladed connector. As the car is a 93 Japanese import it also has yellow reflectors.

Chucking it down with rain now so match abandoned...

j

Ahhh - I had those too. Couldn't get a bulb at all. No one had ever seen one. I have removed the yellow glass as it sapped light and I converted the bulbs to simple H1 (IIRC)

The point where the bulb base fits into the lamp holder is the same, but obviously it's two pin connector. So I just ditched the connector by grafting in new individual connectors and an earth off the lamp surround (there's a handy screw holding the base into the lens)

Incidentally, it's FAR easier to just take the headlight out. Takes a couple of mins and removes all the faffing and scuffing.

Really didn't take much doing at all.

Chris

Just wondered if an H7 bulb would do it bet probably too bright... i think they have twin blade connectors...

The bulbs in the inner lamps of the imports are H3C, £10 each from eBay :thumbup:

That's the little sucker! Nice one Paul, albeit a bit late for me. I tried gurgling for ages and couldn't get a lead. I had nothing to go on.

Chris

I've put a set of Halford Extreme H4s in the main headlamps, pleasantly surprised. Also put new bulbs in the IPF spot, 900 130 watt, not road legal but handy out in the boonies... will now source some H3Cs for the inner driving lamps and will remove the yellow glass...

J

Back