Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlamps - Main / Dip issues

kevsta

I've got an odd fault on my headlights I'm wondering if anyone has seen before or any insight into?

All headlight fuses and bulbs are good (checked and swapped) and both relays are good, and in fact I have (expensive new) spares of both too, so I dont think its anything basic.

what happens is that the dip beam is fine on both sides, however when I switch to main beam, the right hand side comes on, along with the r/h dip which stays on, but the left hand side doesn't come on, and the l/h dip goes off too :wtf:

the loom appears to have been spliced into from the r/h (working side) to power an extra relay (spots?) but only has the control wire (to the relay) and the earth from the relay connected now, as I assume the spots were removed at some point along with their wiring, but I cant see that anything that looks bad visually, without pulling the loom apart.

its the loss of the l/h dip too thats confusing me, what could cause this? other than this I could just run a new feed across from the other side.

any ideas?

cracked it

ok if anyone's interested I've found the problem, I have a break in the loom somewhere between the Left Upper fuse and arrival at the left headlamp, because when I bridge across (red as per attachment) it all works fine.

also can see now why the other (dip/main) bulb goes out. not sure whether to bother pulling whole loom out, Im thinking running a new wire neatly in my temp bridge position is a whole lot easier.

Attachments

• loom.jpg
    loom.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 130
Back