Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

headlight upgrades, road legal?

yogi

Garage
Country Flag
ireland
Was in Kyrgyzstan in September, driving a 98 Patrol. I noticed the dips were upgraded, and actually almost as bright as the mains. What upgrades are people running on their 80s here?

Google images philips H4 and you will see some interesting options , some are legal and some aren't but they often look the same .

LEDs in mine. Bought them whilst in Finland. Been through several MOTs now, never a word said. Pattern is perfect. Does make mains look like candles though. Not that I really need the mains now

Racing who said anything about racing ? gotta keep an eye on that tilt switch though , Height of my truck i figure if i can go bumper to bumper behind any car without annoying them then what difference does it make ?

LED's here also in dip and mains with good beams patterns and no MOT issues. I originally ran HID's in the main beams but replaced them with LED's when one of the drive units failed.

The limiting factor for traditional incandescent lamps is the wiring. It just can't carry the current that they need. I put an upgraded harness in and that made a difference but nothing like popping the LEDs in

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Any particular brand you recommend?

I can't actually remember which Philips i bought but the came with a canbus loom , a little black box converter smaller than a matchbox .

I have LED's in main & low beams, plus LED spots and fogs. The main & low (both canbus) are just straight swaps with no extra looms etc. The fogs and spots are Lazer ST2's and the main & low are "Twenty20". All can be had at Auto Bulbs Direct (ABD)

The Lazer's are not cheap but they were no cheaper anywhere else. I got these after trying numerous ebay offerings that had various negative issues and were a waste of money.

The Twenty20 LED's are good quality bulbs that cast a clear, bright white light, no blue tinge at all. The low beam cut off is good too with no issues of lighting up the backs of other cars. They are also much less money than other offerings such as Phillips.

All other external bulbs have been LED's for a good while now, I did get a relay for the indicators from ABD that ensures no issues with canbus recognition, the only thing with it is that you don't get the audible indicator click in the cabin. As long as your auto cancel works then that's not a problem.

As with others above, I've never had a problem with MOT's. Hope this is of help. Keep Well All.

All the LED bulbs I've bought for both the LC and the bikes have been Ebay, relatively unknown brand jobbies and so far they've been fine. H4 and H1's for the LC, a H4 for the Triumph and a BA20D for the Husaberg. All well worth the outlay, especially in the case of the Husaberg which had a 35/35w filament candle.

I have had these hi and low Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series 1997 | Led Upgrades, Headlights, Interior bulbs, Fog light conversion and accessories - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] in my 80 for quite a few years now, as far as I know no LED globes are legal, but these do seem to have a good cut out, and can be adjusted not to blind oncoming drivers as much, but not totally if its a small (low) oncoming car. Also have a 20in light bar, and 2x4in HID spots on the roo bar, and a 40in light bar on the roof. I was for a time driving every 3 weeks from Perth to Karratha in Western Australia, around 18 hrs, roos a plenty, but there is no coming back from hitting a north west cow at 110kmh, and there was quite a few on the road at night. Fortunately I never quite hit a cow, but had a cppl of pucker up moments

Last edited:
Back