Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlight washer

Spike

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Evning all, iv just topped up windscreen washer reservoir and noticed water running out of offside headlight washer, anyone know a fix? Thanks

Check the pipe has not detached and refit or could be split pipe so get some plumbing tape of your choice wrap it up or cut the pipe fold it over a few inches and put on a couple of cable ties until you can fix it properly that should atleast stop the washer fluid drain

Hi - I had the same problem on my 95 series. It may be because the check valves in the headlight washer tubes have given up. Since the headlight washers are below the reservoir, spring loaded valves are needed to stop the water running out until the pump overcomes the springs. It seems to be a well known issue solved only by buying new Toyota valves which are expensive. My headlight washers are blocked off for now until I find a good deal on new valves. I tried valves from an aquarium supply shop (on eBay) but the springs in them are not strong enough.

I had the same on the '100', it would drain the washer bottle down to the point where the levels were equal.

I bought new Toyota parts from our friendly Toyota Dealer - sorted (I forget how much, but the pain has passed :lol: ).

Bob.

Just found this from Durite whether it would suit you needs I'm not sure and should be able to get one from your local motor factors part no 0 593 07 In line non return valve for 4mm tubing

Thanks gents, sounds like the check valves as the water is trickling out of the jets, where are they located? She is up on a ramp at the moment having the inner sills sorted so an ideal time to change them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It’s been a while since I removed mine but, as far as I recall, the check valves are a few inches back along the pipes from the jets. The pipes are about 14mm OD, 10mm bore.

Thanks for the replies, it looks like they need to be Toyota does anyone have the part number? Are the the same as the 80 series?

Have a read of the thread “washer check valve”. I don’t know if they’re the same between 80,90,100 series. Part number 85031-30020
These seem to be special to Landcruisers but someone said about similar parts on Porsche or BMW.
To be honest, I haven’t missed having headlight washers but I don’t like things not working and have prioritised other things.

Morning all, check valves duly arrived from Amayama this morning, they are indeed part number 85031 30020 and a fraction of the price from Toyota, can someone tell me how to access the old ones, it looks like front bumper has to come off?! Cheers

Yes - front bumper has to come off . . . Sorry :thumbup: .

Bob.

So I was having new shocks all round, whilst in I got the mechanic to change check valves,slightly different when they came out to 85031 30020 but workable with a new bit of hose, anyway for anyone doing this job apparently you can quite easily access them by taking headlights out, no need for bumper removal!

Hmmm - There is actually a plastic 'box section' running along the back of the bumper that limits access. Taking the headlights AND the fog lights out might help but I think you will find it easier to remove the bumper completely.

I was replacing a lot of the front end on mine (Rust . . and an unfortunate skid on snow/ice) so everything was new. As I recall it was a bit of a pain.

Let us hear how you get on :thumbup:.

Bob.

Hi Bob, he has already done it, told me headlights out to access check valves!!

Back