Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlights upgrade ...

right ... curently my headlights look like this ...

O/S
th_20121118_145744.jpg

N/S
th_20121118_145753.jpg

clicky piccys

I should think that drivers side one is a bit dull with all that dirt on the inside, if the glass is dirty I should think the reflector is as well. The passenger side looks a bit dull but that could just be the angle.

drivers side lamp does have a tiny bit of mud in it .... but none in the passenger side

I'll take pictures of mine tomorrow and compare them. I might be barking up the wrong tree but a reflector and glass that have been washed in even slightly dirty water would reduce light output. By the sounds of it you're not impressed with the bulbs either? I would say stick some Halfords Super Bright (name is something like that) bulbs in and see what you think then but they are not cheap. If the bulbs are a bit suspect and one reflector is dirty I can see how that would reduce light output quite a bit. Rays 1995 80 is here for a bit of TLC at the moment, I'll try and remember to compare the headlight wiring on that with what's on my 97 because that's the only other thing I can think of that could account for the lights being so good on mine.

right ... curently my headlights look like this ...

O/S
th_20121118_145744.jpg

N/S
th_20121118_145753.jpg

clicky piccys

I had a this problem on a Sierra a owned years ago so I took the headlamp units out, removed the bulbs and holders etc, and washed the housings out in the kitchen sink with some stuff we used in the dishwasher that was supposed to be especially good at cleaning glass crockery. Rinsed them in hot water and removed as much water as I could with some kitchen towel wrapped round a wooden spoon and left them to dry for a few days. They came up like new.
I don't believe the wiring on the later 80's is an issue. I measured the voltage drop on mine and it was negligable.

Last edited:
I'm quite happy with my lights now. All I did was stick the upgraded wiring harness in. For less than £40 it made a noticeable difference. I kept the standard bulbs, but I am guessing if I went with a higher wattage, over better filament technology, I'd see even more of a difference due to the current carrying capacity of the wires. I was going to stick the spare one I had onto the main beams too, but actually they're fine. Maybe bypassing the dipped beams with the harness improves the loading for the mains somewhere.

I wouldn't say no to more light, but frankly it's fine as it is. It would be better if I dried the insides out (again)

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
cheers guys ....

is there a link to where i might find the harnesss upgrade Chris

Durrr, errrm. Good question Carl. Back in a mo.

C

The one that fits my headlights. I know that's not much help. But given that my bulbs might be different to your bulbs - it's worth looking at your own rather than mine. Now, being slightly less vague, I rather think that it was H4??? The three pin base. BUT and this is why I was being slightly evasive is that someone in the past swapped my original lights (electric levelling) for static ones. So they aren't original.

Chris

just been fitting an H4 headlight wiring kit - ( system that bypasses the factory wiring, but uses it to trigger relays and feed headlights with power from battery) to my 90 this evening. I bought it in USA and had it shipped to hotel i was staying at over on a work trip earlier in the year.

think it was this one
http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--9003-Heavy-Duty-Headlight-Upgrade-Wiring-Harness-PRD7540.aspx

never fitted it. but driving back from lakes, found dipped beam a bit dim compared to what other cars were putting out.

havent finished fitting it yet to test though, but results were good when i did same to my 4runner 5 years ago.

Last edited:
It seems that the HID kits are somewhat cheaper, but to be honest the scatter I have on my LHS (and mine is LHDrive) is a bit naughty for the drivers coming towards me. The replacement one piece units in the link provided look great and I'm very tempted to try them!

Don't forget you can't use LHD light units in the UK.....

Yep, those are they!

And for sure LHD units are not a good idea when driving on the left, illegal and somewhat dangerous for the unfortunates coming the other way!

As I'm LHD I didn't give that a thought for others in the UK... Oops.

What stopped me upgrading to HIDs was the open question of 'what happens when they get submerged?' A headlight full of riverwater is no issue to the stock bulbs...

What stopped me upgrading to HIDs was the open question of 'what happens when they get submerged?' A headlight full of riverwater is no issue to the stock bulbs...

I've got Ring bulbs - Xenon Max - in my 80 and they are a significant improvement. I had HIDs in a 100 series but didn't fit them into the 80. I recommend the Ring bulbs.

Back