Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

heated mirror install

No, not on quite the same page here Gary. The new mirror has no black edging around it to finish off the glass. Not about getting the backing off the old one. The old mirror has a sealing strip. I don't think that's going to come off. The backing plate has an edge to it yes, but this other bit is part of the glass I fear.

First impression is that the new glass is smaller and therefore won't reach the edge of the backing plate all the way around

The edging is part of the backing piece.

Last edited:
Oops. Didnt see your last post chris. Carry on....

I'll look again tomorrow but at first look the new glass is way short of the edge of the backing plate and will not sit in the frame like the original piece.

Chris when I got my mirrors I noticed they weren't quite the same as the originals - a little smaller and the shape not exactly right. As a result they don't fit the backing plate properly. I actually broke one of the mirrors the first time round and had to order another - not only were the connectors in a different place (and I'd already cut the holes in the backing plate) but the glass was a slightly different shape again. They were all from the same supplier as per the link I posted. Not the best overall but I figured if anyone ever reports finding some that are the right shape I'll just replace them - the hard work is done and the concept is proven.

Thanks Lorin, that's exactly what I was saying. I actually bought 2 pairs. I was counting on breakages and also if successful I'd fit them to the green 80 as well. Not so impressed with the sizing issue though

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Use the original glass. Its the right size!

I would but the heated pads are pretty well stuck to the new mirrors.

Is there an advantage in using replacement glass over the self adhesive pads I used?

Is there an advantage in using replacement glass over the self adhesive pads I used?

Nope, probably the reverse! I just ordered the replacement mirrors with heating elements already installed out of laziness. With hindsight, your method just might have been the better....

These only have one connection instead of two. I just clicked on Stu's link and this is what arrived. I didn't choose mirrors over pads. I just ordered what was posted really

I was just curious. I did put a link to the pads I used. Maybe this was over looked.

Yes it was. I looked for one a couple of times actually. Just gone through line by line and found it now. It sort of merged into the top of one of the photos.

Bugger. Can you use your super mod powers and make it clearer?

EPIC FAIL Went for the install today. Got it all stripped with the heat gun. No worries, started to put the new glass in. BUGGER. No wonder the size didn't look quite right. I didn't know the OEM glass was slightly convex. Given that glass won't bend, I'm stuffed. I tried to get the heating pads off the glass. Nope not a chance.

Super moderator powers of awesomeness?
Hah, if I had such powers I'd use them myself and turn back time, read your link and do this right.

Yep, them powers...

ime sometimes the only way forward is to slat the lot in the bin and start again.

Did mine today. Toasty! Lovely day to be outside so I worked in the yard, drinking tea and chatting. So basically spent all day doing it. Went a slightly different way though and added a separate relay which I fired from the rear demist switch. No real reason why, just different. They get warm very fast indeed. I'm just too big to be messing around in footwells.

Back