Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Doncaster

Slightly different issue fitting a locker to an IFS 90 series though than a live axle Jeep. Locking the front transfers the 'weak point' somewhere else - the drive shafts. Mr T never really envisaged adding a front locker. Used in moderation, it's a neat thing, but the reality was that I found was that adding the front locker wasn't like adding a 'super turbo get out of any situation' option. Especially for what they cost! I was a bit surprised. Most of the situations where you need that extra grip are when one of the front wheels has grip and both the rears haven't. Expecting the one front wheel to pull you out is pretty optimistic. When you get that stuck, it's time to get the winch out. Given the choice between a winch and a front locker (on a 90) I would go with the winch, spend the rest on a rear winch and then try to get some extra lift on the front and fit 33" tyres. On it's own, the front locker is very expensive and doesn't gain you that much. Nice to have and play with as a toy though. Your dime, so your choice obviously, but the advantage is minimal most of the time.

Chris

wise words ;)

I am getting the winch fitted this weekend

Thinking of the rear winch

And just for a laugh, this is what happens when you "think" a front locker, well all three locked together, is the solution to mud plugging:

1st time
929841608_KMXsD-M.jpg

2nd time:
1032038756_8hzHj-M.jpg

I have now taped over the locker switch :shh:

J66P said:
I have a better solution let me have it :mrgreen:

Erm let me think about that....... for a split second..... :naughty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had people lining up to buy the locker set up when I was selling Lil Blue. The offer was to swap out the standard one plus cash. Nah, it was part of LB. Like everything else.

It's not a cheap thing to do from scratch. OK cheaper if you are good with a micrometer etc when you come to installing it and getting it all built correctly. You don't want to be blowing front diffs in the field. Stripping a back one is easy enough to get you home, but a front one - best to have a phone number that you can call!! :lol:

Set up well, you will only break drive shafts which as TP will tell you isn't so hard to get home on. But badly, it's crunchy time!

C

is around £800 right for one supplied and fitted

Ha, not quite. You're looking at £650 for the locker and a full workshop day to fit it. So around the £1100 mark at the very least probably more. Plus compressor etc. I took the locker out and delivered it to the workshop so there is another 2 + 2 hours to take it off and refit it if they do it all. You'll also need the output seals and probably they will will want new carrier bearings too with new ring gear bolts or they won't guarantee the work.

Like I say, if you can fit it yourself then it's half the price. I can do most stuff but when you get into this precision stuff, I know my limits.

Chris

I can get a locker kit complete with compressor etc for around £720 from the states

I know a mate that works in an axle / transmission shop so its just oil, seals, and bolts, labour free :mrgreen:

I would do the same as you remove the axle and refit myslef, I have done diffs i the past but I have been an office boy for too long and I think I would struggle these days

Well that's no cheaper than getting it here in the UK really. Handy that you have a mate to do it. IFS diffs are a bit more tricky than traditional rear diffs, so I certainly didn't fancy it. The shop told me initially that it would be an hour or so. They took a full day in the end. Glad I didn't bother. I would do the bearing whilst you are in there though.

Chris

D44. Free delivery too. Obviously prices change with exchange rates, but last time I looked they were £650. The need very little air to work them so no need to go bonkers on the compressor. The ARB one is a little over £100. You could spend less than that. LB had a full VIAIR on board system so all I need was a regulator to reduce the 150 to 90 psi.

C

Back