Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Scotland

Jono

Country Flag
australia
Hi all,

Not really a new member as I joined over three years ago. Just thought I'd introduce myself anyway, better late than never hahah.

I'm Jono and live near Aberdeen, I became the proud owner of a 1996 VX 80 series 1HDFT, in June this year and I absolutely love it. It’s actually the third 80 series I've had, so I know a thing or two about them, but it is the first 80 that I’ve owned in the UK.

Previously I've had a regular 1993 HDJ80R Sahara and a 1997 HDJ80R GLX customised dual cab Ute with extended wheelbase.

I've also owned a BJ40, an RJ70 and currently have an LJ70 sitting in storage near Aberdeen which I really need to try and sell.

I flew down to southern England to pick up my VX and then drove it home. The main reason for this is that there very few for sale in Scotland, the ones that are for sale are overpriced. The other reason is the exposure to salt on the roads that most cars in south England have is far less then what we have in this part of the UK.

The cruiser itself is in really good shape with just over 100k miles on the clock, not that I’m worried about that too much. My 80 Ute in Australia had 595k km on it when i sold it.

The VX had a few issues when i got it that i knew but nothing major. So i got two new heavy-duty batteries with 40% more cranking hours that the previous and replaced the front section of the exhaust. It also doesn't have a rear windscreen wiper assembly or the retractable radio antenna on the bonnet.

My aim is to turn this into a true over lander with the ability to go anywhere and have everything at hand that we may need to spend time in remote places. The project will take a few years and in between i will be replacing a lot of parts with upgraded parts for peace of mind.

Work completed so far:

New stock front exhaust section.

New batteries.

New front axles parts - Stub axles, wheel bearings, swivel bearings, front diff seals, wheel bearing lock nuts and dust seals etc etc.

Coolant flush, including block.

New front indicator housings in white.

New rear light clusters with inbuilt LED brake / Trail lights.

All interior bulb changed out for LEDs.

All exterior bulbs changed out for LEDs, indicators, reversing, low beam, high beam (The MOT regs are quite clear on HIDs but not so clear for LEDs, I’m just trying out different bulb here and there).

All fluids and filters changed, engine oil, diff oils, transfer case oil, steering fluid, brake fluid.

42” LED lightbar fitted between roof rack and roof.

New gas struts for the bonnet and tail gate.

I’ve got a new water pump and timing belt kit ready to go on, just not had the time yet.

To transform it to the way I want it, some of the work will include:

New upgraded and lifted suspension.

Bull bar with integrated storage and bush bars.

Winch – Which I already have.

Rear bar with dual swinging spare wheel carriers.

Intercooler.

3” stainless exhaust.

New upgraded turbo

New upgraded brakes.

Part-time four-wheel drive conversion with freewheeling hubs.

Cargo draw system – I have already removed the third row of seats.

Rear sliding windows replaced with panels.

Window tint on remaining windows.

New window seals and weather strips all round.

Dynamatting throughout.

Roof tent with awning.

Sub fuel tank.

Water tank.

Solar panels.

Split charge system with invertor.

Diff and transfer case remote breathers

There’s a lot to do, some small and some larger projects but like I said it will take a few years. Hopefully I can get some advice and ideas from you guys here along the way.

I will be fitting everything myself and making some of myself from scratch. Definitely making the draw system myself as I’ve not seen a system that I would 100% go out and buy.

Talk soon.

Cheers,

Jono

Hello Jono!

As you’ll know from being a stalker they are a friendly bunch here!
I’m not sure how many of us are sharing the space with the polar bears in the frozen north, I’m a little further up than abz but pass through for work but maybe we’ll meet up sometime! I have similar plans for mine as you do but have a long list of mechanical work to do first!

Cheers

Damn now that's a proper intro.

Bonza. Welcome along.

Hello Jono!

As you’ll know from being a stalker they are a friendly bunch here!
I’m not sure how many of us are sharing the space with the polar bears in the frozen north, I’m a little further up than abz but pass through for work but maybe we’ll meet up sometime! I have similar plans for mine as you do but have a long list of mechanical work to do first!

Cheers

Hi Jack,

Yeah i don't know, can't imagine there are many considering the distinct lack of cruisers up this way.
My old man lives near Inverness meaning i travel up every now and then, so i'm sure at some point we can meet up. That would be good.
I usually forget but must remember to take photos as i go.

welcome Jono.
looks like you have already done a fair bit. Good luck with the rest of the build.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome to the forum. Apart from the 'go anywhere/anytime' , do you have any specific destinations in mind?

Hi Jono and a warm welcome. Any more details on the potentially-for-sale LJ70?

Hi Jack,

My old man lives near Inverness meaning i travel up every now and then, so i'm sure at some point we can meet up. That would be good.

I'm not so far from Inverness so once I get my act together would be good to meet up and bounce some ideas around!

cheers

Welcome to the forum Jono.
great list of potential tasks which all look just the ticket except the 2/4 WD conversion. I can't think of any advantage for the cost. Lads on here who have had a problem with the front axle and taken the front prop off and run home in 2wd have said its not nice to drive, and you are asking one diff to take the strain of 2.
just asking to be enlightened thats all.

Welcome to the forum. Apart from the 'go anywhere/anytime' , do you have any specific destinations in mind?

Myself and a friend have always had a thing about doing the ultimate global trip.

Starting in Cape Town, we would drive to Morocco, boat to Spain and head to Skarsvag in Norway before going south east through the Balkan states and into Asia through Turkey. Winding our way to Singapore before heading North to tackle the road of bones to Magadan. From it would be a boat back to Vladivostok and another boat to Alaska.
Upon reaching Alaska we would go to Prudhoe bay then start heading down to central America, via a boat to Columbia avoiding the Darian Gap it would be onward to Ushuaia in Argentina.

It's more of a dream but that would be the ultimate trip.
Accessible by road, it would encompass Africa, Europe and the Americas most southern and northern points. It also includes Asia's most southern and eastern points too.

That ultimate trip aside. Initially I will be aiming to go to Norway and Switzerland, where I have friends, to camp and tackle some tracks and forests.
After this I want to do North Africa. Morocco and across to Egypt.

Hi Andy,

The 2/4 WD conversion is something I would look into properly.
I drove a mates cruiser which had this conversion done and it was ok to drive. He used it as a work vehicle, so it was always laden quite full and had an upgrade rear diff. It did have significantly less backlash but most of that can be taken out with a diff and drive shaft rebuild.
It something that interests me for touring but there are probably and cons for it.

Hi Jacob,

Re the LJ70.
I posted it in Landcruiser Mart UK page on Facebook in May.
If you are on Facebook check it out, if not let me know and I'll send you details.

Hi Jacob,

Re the LJ70.
I posted it in Landcruiser Mart UK page on Facebook in May.
If you are on Facebook check it out, if not let me know and I'll send you details.

No FB but I’ll send you a PM - would be great to see what you’ve got. Thanks.

Welcome Jono

I see you stay in Westhill, home of my favourite beer shop - Elrik BP garage which is home on hop shop Aberdeen
I’m also Aberdeenshire based, out near Insch
Will look out for your cruiser, if you seen a grey Golf R flash headlights it’s me, i Rarely commute to rubislaw in my Hilux

Hi Andy,

I'll keep a look out for ya. I used to visit HRN at Insch when my dad had his farm.

At the moment I'm using the cruiser to commute to Altens as the injector(s) on my daily drive have decided to stay open when they really shouldn't.
Once they are sorted, the cruiser can have a rest and I'll crack on with my to-do list.

Back