Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Swindon, UK.

TonkaTruck

Hello to all you lovely TLC owners out there. After having Hiluxes for years (still got one) I've now grown up and got my self a truck with an engine that can at last pull the skin off a rice pudding!

Amazing 1994 TLC 80 4.2 auto, almost everything works except the odd electrical thing. Usual rust problems here and there but all fixable.

Driving to Norway, Tromso, next month so am hard at work prepping the truck. Ironman sus going in, new CV kits etc, new General AT2 285/75s going on. Just discovered a water leak to rear heater so that's another thing to fix and i'm rapidly running out of time...

Big thanks to the help so far from the fantastic Karl at Cruiserparts and lads at Westcoast Offroad.

Rgds Tim

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you are getting your truck nicely kitted out, do you have any pics or more info about your vehicle? :)

truck.jpgHere she is. Thanks for your welcome. I'm a member of 4x4 Response and gave the truck a proper work out on our recent training day in a quarry. Simply unstoppable. If i'm careful i get 28mpg too which seems amazing!

Oh that does look very nice.

My favourite colour also.

Welcome!!

Gra.

Just ordered a BEB kit from Westcoast. Not looking forward to getting dripped on with engine oil for 6-8hrs though. :-(. Never done such a job before so will be scouring the forums for advice. Bit nervous about that job. Stripped front hubs down over weekend and aren't too bad. Bearings all look good. Needs new cv joints and seals and nearside swivel/trunion bearings but that's about it. Someone has been in before and mashed the 54mm nuts (which were only finger tight!). Spindle bearings have spun a little and left tiny tiny shoulders on bearing lands but not bad enough to need new spindles. Getting fed up of being covered in cv grease, it stinks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
BEBs are a walk in the park. You'll be done in less time than that. I think there is a full write up on how to do them somewhere. Biggest job is getting the sump off. It's very bendy and straightenable so don't be shy with the chisel. Start by the steering box corner.

The steering arms get in the way a bit so best jacked up to give some more room and I find it easier to remove at least one of the gearbox stiffener brackets to make wrestling the sump off a lot easier. RTV sealant to stick it back on and I use Graphogen on the new bearings, but we've had punch ups over that in the past. I have done three sets of these and use the paste:eusa-snooty: so there. Don't forget your new bolts.

Chris

Top tip, if you can get the sump pan off one afternoon or evening & leave over night, much less oil drips on yer

Full Ironman sus now in, new CV's/seals/gaskets/discs/pads etc etc done. 4 tins of CV grease gone in. Sump off tomorrow and diving into the BEB job Sunday, eek..

Photos with the new suspension would be nice.

Gra.

Back