Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Vrecha ...

vrecha

Hi all,
my name is Damjan and I'm from Slovenia.
Been following the "other site" for some time and now moved here with the stream. I'm a quiet type of forum inhabitants, don't post much. Partly because of my English, which is - well - basic.

Cars?
Well, I'm more to the traveling - overlanding side, not a fan of huge modifications.
The car that introduced us (me and my girlfriend) to overlanding was Subaru Forester:
turcija_08_452.jpg

Raised with Ironman suspension and carrying a roof tent, it cruised with us around Europe, to Sardinia, all around Balkan and also we did a very nice loop around eastern Turkey:
Turkey08loop.jpg

t01.jpg

t05.jpg

We learned at that trip that what we really enjoy are remote areas, where people still don't know much about turism. From then on, we follow this idea. Cities and known spots (recommended by lonelyplanet and similar guidebooks) instantly fell to "reserve" plans on our trips. We don't like to plan a lot, but decide on a day to day basis and move when we like, not when we have to. Stay as much flexible as we can.

Moving on, it was time to get a vehicle more "up to task". We were looking for Nissan Patrol 4.2 or LC 80 series, but at the end bought a 95 series LC (there is only one Patrol 4.2 in Slovenia and you can count all the 80s on the fingers of your hands and feet :| ):
yota_01.jpg

Here is the point where being handy with spanners helps. I learned gradually (help from the predecessor of this forum was much appreciated). Became more and more self-sufficient mechanic and finally of course had to change the head on 1KZ-TE. We did some trips, of course, not some great ones, but a few on Balkan and Europe.
091101_Velebit_02.jpg

091101_Velebit_03.jpg

We also managed almost to roll the truck:
yotaNaBoku_01.jpg

Then finally the opportunity arised to get an 80 series LC.
naDobrovlju.jpg

And here it is now, equiped for the next trip:
triintridesetke_01.jpg

Modestly equiped. OME 3'' lift, BFG AT 285/75/16 on steel rims and some other minor modifications.

We are planing to go through Turkey, Syria and Jordan to the Red sea and back. One month, starting in the first days of june. We'll see how it goes.

--------------
Anyway, I would really like to thank all the contributors on this forum, it is a great site and I don't doubt that with the community like this it can become only better.

Fantastic. Welcome back. Lovely, pics, lovely trucks and very good English, so no need to apologise.

Chris

Welcome!

Some stunning pics there. I like your thinking: "We don't like to plan a lot, but decide on a day to day basis and move when we like, not when we have to."

What happened on the almost roll? Too fast round the bend? ;)

As for your English - I suspect it's better than some English folk here :lol: :lol:

Welcome, don't worry your English is fine
Nice looking trucks and great pics

Thanks for your welcomes. That was quick! :shock:

@Crispin:
The almost roll was in fact quite embarrassing. :oops:
We were returning from a mountain hike and on a not-so-narrow road we were avoiding a big forrester truck. There was enough space, but the driver panicked and confused and pressed the gas pedal instead of the brake. I was a co-driver on this occasion. :mrgreen: But I spent the evening comforting the driver (girlfriend) that what she did was not a disaster, it could happen to anyone, it's only some bent bodywork and we'll have it repaired in no time. You know, she want truck to be not only capable off-road, but also nice looking. Ah, women ... :D

Excellent first post, I just wanted to keep reading! Welcome aboard, I look forward to following your travels

Jim.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
vrecha said:
Thanks for your welcomes. That was quick! :shock:

@Crispin:
The almost roll was in fact quite embarrassing. :oops:
We were returning from a mountain hike and on a not-so-narrow road we were avoiding a big forrester truck. There was enough space, but the driver panicked and confused and pressed the gas pedal instead of the brake. I was a co-driver on this occasion. :mrgreen: But I spent the evening comforting the driver (girlfriend) that what she did was not a disaster, it could happen to anyone, it's only some bent bodywork and we'll have it repaired in no time. You know, she want truck to be not only capable off-road, but also nice looking. Ah, women ... :D

Ahhhh, glad it was not serious. We have our own people here confuse the brake and accelerator pedals :shock:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7483

Sorry Chas ;) (Yours is more impressive than Vrecha's though)

Hi Damjan,
Welcome, great post and excellent English :) , no apologies necessary, it looks like you were very lucky there was a tree there when you nearly rolled, how many miles was the trip you showed the route of?
Chas

Welcome

what a nice write up. and stunning pics.

Your 80 looks especially nice.

Wow Damjan. I'll copy Andrew with what a great introduction to yourself.

Nice set of trucks, especially the 80 :lol:

Welcome

And it was good to see some pics of a Scooby forester!

We have two

One which is still used on the road, which we used for a road trip to Norway a few years ago
096trollstigen_snow1.jpg

And another one collected for spare parts.... and selling bits..
sparepartspetruscollectedfromgeoff.jpg

petrusbeingdismantled.jpg

Subarus ...
... nice and surprisingly capable cars they are. I like them up to model years around 2006, the recent ones I found strangely shaped and too much electronically controlled (esp. traction systems). Except Impreza STI. Still cool in my eyes. Anyway, since this is not a Subaru forum, I'm afraid to pronounce my feelings towards this brand too loudly. :oops: :D

Just one more Subaru picture (sorry):
ritje_02.jpg

We meet with some Subaru enthusiasts on a regular basis to drive on local military training ground. I was struggling to get up this muddy hill with my LC95 on BFG ATs. It was as slippery as a butter. But this Legacy with added LSD (limited slip diff) on the back and ordinary winter tyres climbed up effortlessly. I was just :shock: .

--------------

how many miles was the trip you showed the route of?

Don't know exactly because we haven't had an GPS receiver at that time and didn't bother to measure the distances. I recall it was around 8000 km from home to home in 23 days.

Welcome Damjan,

Great trucks and some lovely pics :cool: - look forward to seeing and hearing more about your "adventures"! :)

vrecha said:
I recall it was around 8000 km from home to home in 23 days.

Wow that's some trip :shock: Oh and welcome to the forum

vrecha said:

What size are those BFGs? They look bigger than standard and give the 90 a nice "stance". :cool:
(Sorry but I'm currently obsessed with tyres at the moment and looking forward to getting a small suspension lift and a nice new set of AT tyres this Summer :roll: :D ).

chadr said:
What size are those BFGs? They look bigger than standard and give the 90 a nice "stance". :cool:

Actually looking at the pic again, I think I have realised what the cause is - it's the lack of the running boards.

They (or lack of) seem to make the truck look much taller. Unfortunately I don't have the option of taking mine off as SWMBO and the kids will have trouble getting in...... :cry: :roll:

The tyres were BFG At 265/75/16, a little taller than original tyres (265/70/16). As you said it is the lack of steps that make the car visually taller.

Back