Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Western Australia

Aussie Nobby

Country Flag
australia
Hi all. A found this forum today and it was great to see the wealth of knowledge. I have a 100 series built April 99 and I bought it in 2001. It's the type with the old barn doors. Since I like camping I chose this model since it is easy to clean on the inside (vinyl floor etc) . I have put an after market turbo on it plus that standard lift kit, winch, racks, radios, diff locks etc over the years. So the wife has some luxuries when we go out bush I also have an off-road Goldstream camper as well. When I retire and have more spare time; which is not that far away, the aim is to look up the local Landcruiser Club in WA.

Cheers for now Aussie Nobby

Hi Nobby, get your post count up to fifteen & you can get some pics on, we love pics.

Sounds a reliable and fun ride for you back there, nice! You will surely gonna enjoy more when with a club.

Hey Nobby
Sounds like a good rig mate.
How long have you had the turbo on the 1hz mate. I HAD A 2003 GXL with the DTS turbo on it. A couple of things people
suggested i do and i did. Keep the Injectors and Pump right up to spec. Also make sure that the cooling system is right up to spec especially the viscous hub on the fan. I also had a EGT and Boost guage fitted.
The reason i mention this is the pistons in the newer 1hz motors don't take kindly to faulty injectors with the added pressures and temps of the Turbo.The usual end result is cracked pistons. The Pistons in the 80 series 1hz don't seem to suffer as much from it as they are of a heavy more robust design.

I had my HZJ105 from brand new and had the Turbo put on it around the 70,000 klm mark. I sold it at around the 120,000 klm mark. Everything was still great and i still see it ocassionally.If you get a EGT Gauge you will see how quick the temps can rise when it's under load. I put a X country Front mout intercooler on my 1hz and it made a difference for sure.

Wa is a awesome place but bloody big to get around.:shock::shock:.

I look forward to some picks of your rig. :icon-cool::icon-cool:

I, sadly have to concur with the above. I have a 99 gxl 100 series. I have a DTS turbo install on a 1hz. I bought the rig 2nd hand. No intercooler. I punched a hole in one of the pistons after I drove it from over East .
I had the thing rebuilt with pistons and conrods from a factory turbo. No intercooler.
I have just found that a quick dash across the nullabor and back with a Goldstream Camper has gifted me with blow by. A sure sign of something expensive to be again repaired. An intercooler is on the cards.
Numpty here put it on the to do list...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I have a 1HZ with a low pressure turbo fitted, not by me I may add. I do worry about it being fitted as to what damage it may result in, just out of interest what sort off EGT temps do you see
David
PS and welcome to the club it's a fantastic place

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Temps can rise very quickly and it is not hard to see the temps rocket past 500 deg c on a warm day Post turbo.
The best place to have the EGT probe is in the manifold Preturbo.
My DTS turbo was set at 12psi which dropped to 11 psi after the intercooler was fitted and i adjusted it back to 12.
The AFR is critical AIR FUEL RATIO. The more diesel you put in the hotter it will run. The more Air you PUT in the cooler it will run to a point. Also another critical thing with putting turbos on a 1 hz is the pump timing.It has to be spot on.

With regards to injectors.The better the fuel atomization the better the burn and the less chance of cracking a piston. If the injectors don't give a good spray but more a jet then you get hotspots and cracked pistons.

I had an extra tube of Silicon viscous oil added to my viscous fan hub to help the fan when cooling the engine.

My hzj105 used to get 12 to 13 litres per hundred klms running up and down the highway with 33 inch tyres and a 2 inch lift.
Have the 3 inch exhaust also helped the hot gases get away quicker and allow the turbo to spool up quicker as well.

Also had a TM2 engine coolant monitor. I could tell when the coolant temp hit around 92 deg c you would hear the cooling fan start to roar as the viscous fan started to work. It would usually stop roaring around 78 deg c. It also had an inbuilt alarm that was set at 98 deg c.

I didn't rely on the factory dash cooling gauge as by the time it's started to rise your engine is already running too hot.

Thanks for the information Beno my EGT is in the manifold and has never got any higher than 550 degc tbh it normally runs around 300 deg c unless on a long hill climb. When it starts to rise I just back off the power a bit till the temp falls
David

Thanks for the information Beno my EGT is in the manifold and has never got any higher than 550 degc tbh it normally runs around 300 deg c unless on a long hill climb. When it starts to rise I just back off the power a bit till the temp falls
David

Not a problem Mate. Happy to help out. It sounds like your turbo is set up well which is great to hear.:thumbup: David i didn't realize till now that you were UK so ambient temps also come into play as well downunder but not sure how much difference it can make in the UK.
:doh::doh:

Beno -

Thanks for the input. The injectors are original and I use a fuel additive. Currently engine does not blow any smoke. Turbo went on at 115k can and engine is up to 200k . I put the EGT on straight away since I like gauges to know how hard I'm pushing the engine. Agree with the viscous hub. I'm on my second. Turbo runs around 8psi to not stress the engine. My big error this year, I had a squeak in the front and believed it was the viscous hub. Was very slack in checking it out (actually quite angry with myself since I let it go for months due to being really busy) since it it stopped after around a minute of engine run time. Thought is was the viscous hub again. Truth was it was a belt failing. Belt snapped taking the second one with it immediately at 100kmh pulling the camper and within 30 seconds top of the radiator blew off, entire top tank blew off. Apart from requiring a new radiator there was no other damage apart from pride . i was so lucky and only 30km from the nearest town. Will include photo's soon.

Hi David

Thanks for the reply. When pulling the camper I'm around 300 -350C. If going up hills I sit around 450 -500C. WA is fairly flat so it does not stay there for long, less than 5 minutes.

Back