Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello :)

Grey Beard

Country Flag
australia
My 80 Series has just clocked over 460,000 kms, runs smooth, still has power, no knocks and hardly uses any oil...But looks like head gasket just blew
Should i rebuild or just do head?

Welcome to the forum GB, your 80 has the same kilometerage as mine, but thankfully the head gasket on mine is still intact.
Do you know what caused it to blow? Coolant leaks, overheating, etc?
Next question is it petrol or diesel and if diesel, HDJ (with turbo) or HZJ (no Turbo)?

I‘d be inclined to want to fix it, but it depends on what caused the gasket to let go. It could be almost anything from a cracked head, warped head, failed gasket, even a cracked block...

It also depends where you are in OZ, the availability of spares, second-hand parts etc.

So it’s hard to offer advice, really.

Thanks for replying Clive,
Yeah sorry mate, was a bit nervous about joining a forum lol, and missed out half the info..
1994 Petrol - 1FZFE - No turbo
Living in Perth WA Aussie land
It didn't over heat that I know of (my daughter borrowed it for a trip to Kalbarri) but was blowing white smoke at start up the next morning so assuming head gasket let go.
Have put magic juice in the radiator to get me through till I decide (maybe not the wisest decision)
Cheers
Shane

If the white smoke is the only symptom, then I’d try a compression test first, to see which pots are down on pressure (if any).
There‘s so many different things that could have caused a problem, a leaking valve can cause a local heat-spot which can warp or crack a head.
Is there coolant loss, or water in the oil or oil in the coolant? All these things would give you a better indication of what’s up and the cause.
If the body & chassis of the truck are in good order, then I’d consider either a repair or an engine swap if there’s one available locally.
I’m trying to put myself in your shoes, but I love my old HZJ so much, I’d be hard pressed to scrap it for a head gasket, but new parts and rebuilds really can hit the bank account badly, so used parts would be the way I’d go if I could get my hands on them, which here in Romania is not so easy.
OZ seems to be teeming with Land Cruisers, so you may have more choices than me.
Best of luck Shane, it would be sad to see another 80 bite the dust.

Appreciate the feedback Clive,
That's something I hadn't thought of (leaking valve) and really good point
Just got the ol girl back from mechanics for oil pressure test - should be between 36-71 psi, it was 70 :grinning:
Compression has been done recently and was all pretty good
No water in oil, but yes coolant loss straight into one of the pots before I put the magic juice in radiator
The chassis is spot on and no rust in the body, so she will being staying - definitely not biting the dust
Have a got a few more leads and quotes today so looking like it will be either do the head etc, or swap the motor out with a second hand one.
Yes we do have a lot of choices here, and ironically that's half my problem - which one to choose haha
Take care over there in Romania mate :cool:

Back