Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HELP!!! Advise needing on picking the right LC

ah dee

Hello Everyone,

I currently live in Melbourne,Australia and in a few short months i will be relocating to remote Northern terrerity. I plan on buying a Land cruiser and have found three cars that fit my budget.

I am still deciding on which one to get and would like any advise one the the 3 LC's ( that i have picked) or and advise in general with regards to owning and maintaining a LC's

I dont do any off roading, the car's main purpose would be transporting 5 begins and going on long road trips/drive.

i would like any advise on these three LC's,

Here are the 3 LC's

1) 1985 Land cruiser (Manual) HJ62RV , it has done 250,000kms, never been off roading, no mods, very clean interior and the engine is well maintained with logbook.

2) 1989 Land cruiser (Manual) FJ62RG , 270,000kms, been off roading once, on mods, very clean interior and engine decently maintained

3) 2000 Land cruiser Pardo RV (Manual) RZJ95R , 230,000km, never been off roading, no mods, decent interior and engine.

which is best out of the three LC'S?

maintenance cost?

tips?

Things to look out for?

Worth buying for a daily drive?

Thank you very much in advance.

Take a test drive in the 60 and prado. 60's are heavy duty with agricultural suspension. It can be improved a bit but will never match coul springs.
The prado should also have better mpg and range.
The accessories and mods can easily cost more than the car so you need to make sure the car suits first. Dont have any experience of petrol cruisers but have had 60's with the 12-ht and 2h diesel engines. Both are string snd smooth but the 12-ht has more power due to its turbo.
I drive a 60 daily and love it but the 95 is more comfortable, economical and easier to get parts for

I'd guess the Pardo, just on the fact more parts will be readily available.

The newer it is the more refined and road bias it will be so for your criteria the Prado is a clear winner .

Take a test drive in the 60 and prado. 60's are heavy duty with agricultural suspension. It can be improved a bit but will never match coil springs.
The prado should also have better mpg and range.
The accessories and mods can easily cost more than the car so you need to make sure the car suits first. Dont have any experience of petrol cruisers but have had 60's with the 12-ht and 2h diesel engines. Both are string snd smooth but the 12-ht has more power due to its turbo.
I drive a 60 daily and love it but the 95 is more comfortable, economical and easier to get parts for

60's are tough but rough, definitely a boys toy. Like Ben I've had most types of Cruiser but most of the time now I run a Colorado/Prado 95 and love it for what it is. Compared with a 90 series a journey in a 60 would soon loose its novelty after about 5 miles.
I've had a couple of the FJ variant ( petrol) and whilst smooth and about the same go as the 12-HT they are very thirsty.
Prado, gas or derv every time for me. ( Although there is something about 60's I like)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The op is moving to Northern Oz 1.421 million km squared

RoadTrain01.jpg

Fair enough reason to drive a Cruiser i reckon .

"I dont do any off roading, the car's main purpose would be transporting 5 begins and going on long road trips/drive"

I've driven around NA and Queensland in a 2 WD camper. Sure it's RAF and the corrugations on the dirt roads are a bastard... but to answer the OP question, he doesn't need a Cruiser really - certainly not one of the older ones - what's the point? Modern Hilux crew cab maybe...

"I dont do any off roading, the car's main purpose would be transporting 5 begins and going on long road trips/drive"

I've driven around NA and Queensland in a 2 WD camper. Sure it's RAF and the corrugations on the dirt roads are a bastard... but to answer the OP question, he doesn't need a Cruiser really - certainly not one of the older ones - what's the point? Modern Hilux crew cab maybe...

Yep, but how many of us need a cruiser?

OK, admittedly there's quite a few that tow, and a handful that live up long bumpy un-surfaced tracks, but needing a cruiser and having one (or more) is a very different thing.

I don't need my cruiser, but heaven help anyone who tries to take it off me... :lol: :violence-sniperdar::violence-smack:

Sounds like a dose of deja vu there Clive.
My wife contests that i need a cruiser but what if there is a flash flood or all the roads suddenly disappear?
They dont understand contingency planning :blush:

Agreed Clive - most of us choose to. Same applies for any vehicle choice really... do I need a MT350, do I need a camper, etc, etc....

But my comments were explicitly in response to the question raised by the OP. For their use, they just need a reliable, comfortable, tough vehicle. Can't see why they'd limit it to a cruiser, even less so an old(ish) one.

Agreed Clive - most of us choose to. Same applies for any vehicle choice really... do I need a MT350, do I need a camper, etc, etc....

But my comments were explicitly in response to the question raised by the OP. For their use, they just need a reliable, comfortable, tough vehicle. Can't see why they'd limit it to a cruiser, even less so an old(ish) one.

I realized that Dave, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek, didn't mean to imply anything. You're right of course. :lol:

Back