Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HELP with setting wheel bearing preload

Lorin

I've just changed a CV and am setting the wheel bearing preload. I've followed the instructions given in the sticky link and ih8mud link. However, I am a bit confused... With the adjusting nut having been tightened to 43ft-lb the preload is within spec at around 8-10lb. But when I then slacken the adjusting nut off and retighten to approx 5ft-lb before installing the lock washer and lock nut, the preload drops to virtually nothing....?

What am I doing wrong? I have not changed the wheel bearings if that makes any difference.

edit: not too worry, just found the answer in one of my own previous threads !!!
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...-guide-to-tightening-the-front-wheel-bearings

Last edited:
Is the bearing moving (or being turned) between loosening / retightening?

The 43ft-lb (along with the wheel turning) is used to seat the bearing.... then when you loosen/retighten to a lower torque you're just removing the bearing preload - i.e. the bearing should still be as well seated and your rolling resistance should be the same/very similar.

For the '5ft-lb' I just grab the socket and turn by hand - you're just trying to nip up any float - may be worth a shot.

HTH

Back