Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi all, first post! 2 problems maybe related?

toadusmodus

Merry Christmas all.
I have a couple of issues with my '96 Landcruiser with 1HD-FT engine that maybe related?

First of, after engine start the voltage is stuck at about 9-10V for a few minutes, then when it increases to normal the glow plug light comes back on and stays on. I have had a look at the relay under the main battery as per this thread

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9048

and found that the plastic cover was slightly melted and one of the terminals a bit coroded. Have removed the relay (not really sure what this does, is it for glow plugs or a hot air fan??) and cleaned it up but this has not cured the problem. Could the relay be knackered??

Second issue is poor running. In any gear, when the engine is under load and above about 2300rpm it suffers very bad stuttering/hesitation/loss of power. This seems to be worse at first and gradually gets better the longer the engine has been running and the hotter it is, but never goes away completely. It's at the point now where going up any sort of hill or trying to accelerate is a rather lurchy experience!!

Any help with either problem greatly appreciated, does anyone think there could be a link?

Thank, Joe.

Hi Joe and welcome to the forum.

For fault one I would suggest something is taking a drain of the electrickery which could well be that relay.
Does the light stay on with the relay out?
For the second one I would start simple. Check for air intake blockages and air filter. Then onto fuel filter including the one in the tank. Then the vaccum pipes as a split in one could give you these symptoms. Also a fuel pipe split may be the problem dragging in air.
After the simple stuff comes the injectors and pump etc

I'm sure the experts will be along soon but that is where I would start.

Ecky Thump said:
Hi Joe and welcome to the forum.

For fault one I would suggest something is taking a drain of the electrickery which could well be that relay.
Does the light stay on with the relay out?
For the second one I would start simple. Check for air intake blockages and air filter. Then onto fuel filter including the one in the tank. Then the vaccum pipes as a split in one could give you these symptoms. Also a fuel pipe split may be the problem dragging in air.
After the simple stuff comes the injectors and pump etc

I'm sure the experts will be along soon but that is where I would start.

I was thinking along the lines of fuel flow issues, so will give that a look. Any idea how I go about checking the fuel tank filter?

Back