Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HI from aberdeenshire

ian2144

Hi folks,

I'm off to my local 4x4 dealer to look at a Land Cruiser D4-D Auto, it's a 54 plate with only 51K on the clock, so it sound good on the face of it.

Things to look out for ? I have been told about the injector seals, any other info I should know about, good, bad or otherwise............ running costs, MPG etc. I do have a large twin axle caravan.

After almost 5 years my old HiLux Surf will have to go, but will continue with Toyota brand, as it's been so good.

Ian.......

Hi and Welcome - you read my post on hiluxsurf then ?

which dealer is the LC at - arnold clark?

cheers

Andy (4runner)

Hi and Welcome - you read my post on hiluxsurf then ?

which dealer is the LC at - arnold clark?

cheers

Andy (4runner)

Yes, I did see it on the other forum, Thanks.

Not Arnold Clark.......Dunecht 4x4

Cheers

Ian.......

Hi

aha - the LC3 - check to make sure the rear difflock works - best to test on a grassy or muddy area, it only works in low-range, and the rear-difflock indicator light should stop flashing when its locked.
the LC3 has a rear axle electric difflock.
the higher spec LC4 and LC5 do not have a difflock, but ATRAC traction control instead

watch the prices at Dunecht 4x4, they are often inflated
but this LC3 seems comparable with other LC on autotrader - @£12,000

check condition of underside to make sure its not too rusty if its been in Aberdeenshire all its life :)

Like you i stayed in the brand, replaced the 4runner i had for 5yrs in 2009 for a LC Colorado

Last edited:
I went down to Dunecht for a look at that LC3. I should have kown, low miles is not the "the be all & end all" was willing to go over budget for somthing that was imaculate...... not this one, all four need refurbed, more than a few scuff marks in and outside and the low range selector light not working.

I would still like a D4-D, maybe a late Colorado/Prado 01-03 is this what you would call a 90 series ??

May have to head south of the border.

I was going to say,

The miles "thing" isn't such a big thing with what your buying.
Mine has 250,000 and is a few years newer than what your looking at.

Drives bloody great, brilliant.

We also tow a big 7 meter twin axle all over the Alps and Europe, without missing a beat !

Any way, nice to have a low miler, but not strictly the be all and end all.

Gra.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
shame the dunecht 4x4 one was a bit scabby - and wheels not in good condition

the from some point in 2000 to 2002 the UK Landcruiser Colorado's came with a more powerfull D-4D engine
and yes these are the 90-series (although technically the SWB model is 90-series and the LWB is 95 series)

and i think the 120 series (like the one you saw today) came in 2003

went car shopping today myself - Toyota dealer in Elgin and bought a D-4D Yaris
to replace our 11-yr old subaru forester

will still be keeping the landcruiser and the other newer turbo forester :)

Back