Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi i bought another Colorado.

cbv8

Country Flag
england
Hi All,
Since last owning a 1996 Colorado back in 2008 and then selling it 9 years later i have bought another must say i did miss my old beast it's good to be back in the fold :greetings-waveyell:

20170422_190810.jpg

Looks great but shame on you for selling the first :lol:

How does it compare to your memories ? because i have a heap of ex girlfriends who just didn't make the grade on the second lap :shifty: a poor comparison of course :lol:

Looks great but shame on you for selling the first :lol:

How does it compare to your memories ? because i have a heap of ex girlfriends who just didn't make the grade on the second lap :shifty: a poor comparison of course :lol:
Lol i like it Shayne i only got it Saturday it was very impressive on the test drive probably better than my first "the Colorado that is :joycat:" it has 10 months mot. The seller pointed out that it had some welding done the the diff hanger bracket unfortunately i have now noticed the other one was broken in two see pic so thats a welding job for me straight away :cry:

20170422_152211.jpg

Ouch , there and the rear body mounts seem to be what suffers from rust the most so hopefully it doesn't necessarily point to further problems .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You may already be aware of all this and I certainly don't want to dampen your new car mood.....but have you checked the MOT history for this car?

You can do that here : https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Looks like it failed on these points in Feb this year but must have been repaired, as it passed 3 days and 3 miles later.

Registration number: H16PEB

• Vehicle makeTOYOTA
  • Vehicle modelLANDCRUISER COLORADO
  • Date first used24 April 1999
  • Fuel typeDiesel
  • ColourGreen

MOT history of this vehicle
  • Test date25 February 2017
  • Expiry date24 February 2018
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading121,698 miles
  • MOT test number2897 1126 5894
  • Test date22 February 2017
  • Test ResultFail
  • Odometer reading121,695 miles
  • MOT test number9052 3380 1270
  • Reason(s) for failure
    Offside Rear Upper Trailing arm modified and seriously weakened (2.4.A.2)
    Nearside Rear Lower Trailing arm inappropriately repaired chassis mate (2.4.A.2)

Hi Chadr,
Yes i have the failure sheet but i presume the broken mount shown in my first picture was done after the mot pass i have a attached a picture offside rear upper trailing arm repair if this is what they were referring to ??

20170422_152327.jpg

The first pic is your diff locker does it still work ? If so get it cleaned up and seal the crack with jbweld soon they are expensive things to replace . It's only really used for off road though and as you haven't mentioned mud yet maybe you can ignore it altogether .

The second pic is your panhard rod , the trailing arms are the same rods running front to rear and connected to your broken axle mounts ,the bit that needs welded .

Before spending on repairs it has to be worth talking to breakers about a replacement axle and i think Milners sell new ones .

Thanks Shayne if you look at the bracket on the axle t is covered in underseal this i presume is the repair they did for the mot i intend to remove the said underseal and see exactly what is beneath??:flushed: I don't really intend to do offroading but who knows eh i will try and seal the difflocker anyway i would rather repair the axle i have as there are no clunks or whining etc thanks again for your advice very much appreciated ;)

How handy are you with a spanner is the question , what you buy new is just the empty shell of the axle and transfer all the internals though i guess there would also be seal and maybe bearings to buy (its not something i have done or looked into doing)

These trucks are getting old and i have two of them . The first i bought about about 5 years ago and without any experience of working on 4 wheels at all i set about modifying it trusting the mot man to tell me what actually needs money spending on it .

Its never let me down but over the space of 4 years i have replaced all sorts at the mot mans request .

I have only recently started looking at the second truck because it drives the mrs to work and back and that's likely all it will ever do so i don't have much interest in it .

But with the benefit of experience i have imposed a rule upon myself which is to tackle the ageing process head on every time something has to come off .

So if i had to remove the axle i would feel obligated to also remove the fuel tank and get to work with a wire brush and a paintbrush .

We have two cars because we need two cars so its a pita but i hope the end result will be a 20 year old car that can pass any inspection at a glance :pray:

I am pretty good with a spanner ie i will have a go but i don't have the room to swap axles and my drive is pretty speep as can be seen in my first picture :disappointed: i owned many Rover V8s over the years and still own a P6 3500. I have had many Rangies/Discos/and a Surfs i have always done my own maintenance and welding i did change the cambelt on my last Colorado but can't really remember doing it :tearsofjoy: I suppose when i bought this Colorado with 10 months mot and drove lovely i expected to get in and just drive and maintain as i go but now i find i am into lots of heavy repairs before i can actually drive it safely on the road :rage: thanks again for your advice and info ;)

Back