Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Higgys 80 restor/project

i know what you mean about "just changing the discs" higgy.
good stuff. looks like your getting amongst it, as we say round here..
Yeh ! who came up with that idea.... No Nonsense simple mechanics I was told.. On an 80:icon-rolleyes:

Mines got no front backing plates, makes absolutely no difference. "They stop sh1t getting behind the discs" but then they more often keep all crud behind the discs! Unless you get some mega cheap I wouldn't bother to be honest
Like Andy Lomas says, Its hit and miss at a Test centre. I know some MOT stations will fail if you have no backing plates.. But I know what you mean about stuff getting stuck behind the plates . The Marina is all Gravel and im constantly picking stones out between the disc and the plate on my 120...:thumbdown:

the front backing plates are not too bad new cost wise.
the rears will give you a heart attack if your tickers a bit weak..
I think I recall 650 quid each when I asked....... the phone went quiet after that haha

I think I recall 650 quid each when I asked....... the phone went quiet after that haha
Yeh! Id already got the heads up from Karl regarding prices... There is no way even if they are made of gold they should cost that much there is maybe £50 worth of Material and manufacture.. and that's it.. There is a guy next to me breaking an old L200. Its got decent brake plates on it.. Il do something with them if I cant get hold of Toyota ones......

Cheap steel=rust so shame on Toyota not just in the backing plate area but also chassis and body. The MOT tester cannot fail on not having backing plates unless it's a failable item. Or could it come under a catch all phrase like " any part of the braking system significantly corroded or missing?"

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheap steel=rust so shame on Toyota not just in the backing plate area but also chassis and body. The MOT tester cannot fail on not having backing plates unless it's a failable item. Or could it come under a catch all phrase like " any part of the braking system significantly corroded or missing?"
Don't know the MOT law on that one . But I have had trucks fail in the past because of missing or Knackered backing plates... Maybe your right, they might consider it part of the braking system/ or protection of the braking system....

Just a few more pics Nothing more to report really just more cleaning. de-rusting painting. and generally moving the 80 piece by piece into the container.. Hope it fits
DSCF9566.JPG
View attachment 152060152061
DSCF9563.JPG
DSCF9564.JPG
DSCF9565.JPG
DSCF9566.JPG
DSCF9568.JPG
DSCF9562 - Copy.JPG

sorry about the pics , don't know why its doubled some up and I seem to have lost 3 others. Sort of day iv had really..

DSCF9562 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF9562.JPG
    DSCF9562.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
have you looked at the twin pack acrylic chassis paint/primer?
its very highly rated.

have you looked at the twin pack acrylic chassis paint/primer?
its very highly rated.
Yeh! The lads down the Marina use it a lot on boats etc.. Im experimenting with some paint I got down at the Harbour, just painting the exposed steel The light grey is a high Micaceous Iron Oxide paint.. Goes on nice and thick.. At the end of every day I apply liberally (Slap) a coat on everything before I go home .... That should do it. One of the marine Sprayers said when iv done he can do the whole underneath in a two pack clear gloss lacquer. Might take him up on that..

Yeh! The lads down the Marina use it a lot on boats etc.. Im experimenting with some paint I got down at the Harbour, just painting the exposed steel The light grey is a high Micaceous Iron Oxide paint.. Goes on nice and thick.. At the end of every day I apply liberally (Slap) a coat on everything before I go home .... That should do it. One of the marine Sprayers said when iv done he can do the whole underneath in a two pack clear gloss lacquer. Might take him up on that..
just googled it. sounds like good stuff. another option..
hope your using "grade A" :)

just googled it. sounds like good stuff. another option..
hope your using "grade A" :)
The stuff im using is Hempel.. Apparantly David Beckham paints his Kids Bikes with it, He says 'Its Shit Hot' .. Well if its good enough for Mr Beckham!...:thumbup:

lol. at first I read "david beckham paints his kids with it"..
he should paint that hoss of a mrs with it...

ok! nothing to see here ! move along please folks..

:)

Just a few more pics.. Got the front bumper off, stripped it down to bare metal, so I can weld up a few cracks and holes. ... Looks like someone has had many attempts at fitting a number plate, Holes everywhere, Like its been shot with a blunderbuss ...Got more stuff painted and stored away..... I must have power washed the truck 10 times but im still finding mud packed in everywhere. every time I take something off.. well at least it will be clean when iv done.... Thanks ps im gonna get myself a brake pipe flaring kit does any one know the thread size of couplings etc im assuming its 4mm pipe...
DSCF9573.JPG
DSCF9574.JPG
DSCF9575.JPG
DSCF9576.JPG
DSCF9577.JPG
DSCF9578.JPG
DSCF9573.JPG

The brake pipes are 5mm OD.
3/16 is slightly tight on my flaring kit but works fine.

The brake pipes are 5mm OD.
3/16 is slightly tight on my flaring kit but works fine.
Cheers mike.. surprised how reasonably priced the brake pipe and stuff is... There is some expensive stuff, don't get me wrong.. But gonna start with Machine mart see how it goes.... Thanks for the reply anyways

PS ..The Blingy Shiny A Bar is not going back on.. Free to a good home if anyone wants it. Collection only.. Or if the club can set up one of those relay thingys... Or arrange courier to collect ..

Cheers mike.. surprised how reasonably priced the brake pipe and stuff is... There is some expensive stuff, don't get me wrong.. But gonna start with Machine mart see how it goes.... Thanks for the reply anyways
Yeah, you dont need to spend a ruck on brake pipe kit. I would go for stainless fittings if we didnt have so many fittings to get through in the shed..

Been doing a bit myself lately.

20181030_112154.jpg
20181030_113100.jpg

Last edited:
Back